1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Component Cables Whats Best

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by tnins, Dec 25, 2003.

1. tnins

tnins New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    I have HDTV DISH SATELLITE Receiver connected next to my Home Theater Receiver. I need to run a Component Video Cable from my Home Theater Reciever to my LCD Projector attached to my Ceiling,Approx 50Ft.What is the best Component Cable to get. I see some with Silver coatings expensive,others with RG6 Indv 3Wires, and then Reg cables.Is their really any differences?? Except for price??Thanks Paul

2. rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Check out Mogami ... you can get them through Marshall Electronics 800 800 6608. They have a super thin long run component cable that may be appropriate for your app.

3. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    3 RG-6U/QS cables will give you the best result at incredibly affordable prices compared to dedicated "component video" cables. These are the cables used in studios and professional environments (RG-6 type, I reccommend Quad Shield for a long run to be extra safe)

4. M Law

M Law New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    RG6 Quad can work very well, but you have to be sure that the center conductor is solid copper, not copper clad steel. It can Make a big difference on long runs.

5. anderdea

anderdea Legend

Jan 13, 2004
    Make sure that if you are making up cables using RG6 coax (especially at 50') that the connectors are 75 Ohm to match the cable. Especially if you use an "F" type with and RCA adapter. I had to make up cables (30 ft) from my Dish net HD 6000 receiver (now have a 921) which used RCA connectors on the receiver to a projector that used BNC connectors. I spent the initail $$ on the crimper, die, cable stripping tool and connectors, and wire from the Canare Company. http://www.canare.com Markerteck carries the supplies. Canare lists their connectors as 75 Ohms. Now the cost of additional cables, still not cheap, are less since I have the tools.

Don

6. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Good point, but RCA connectors are awful things anyways. They're always falling out, they're held on by friction and after 100 or so uses they just don't work anymore (correctly). I fail to understand why RCAs are used instead of BNCs on our consumer equipment... There isn't any real cost difference. Do they think your average person is too stupid to figure out a twist-lock connector?

7. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    You can buy F to RCA adapters at Rat Shack.