1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video game console question (covers most of them)

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by music_beans, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Hello. Haven't posted in ages, but lets fix that! :)

I was wondering about this. Why do 3D graphics in video game consoles have jagged looking lines? (example would be a game that had 3D buildings, and the edges look rough and jagged, not smooth) I have observed this effect from the N64 to the PlayStation 2. Does it have something to do with how the polygons are rendered, or the pixels?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The Polygons... and the balance between the graphic cards power and performance of the games.

As time has gone on... the power of the graphic cards have grown significantly, and the programming algorithms have also improved... hence why we are seeing better graphics in the latest gen of systems.

3. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Interesting. I don't own a next gen system myself, such as the PS3 or Xbox 360, but with their HD capabilities Im sure the graphics are gonna keep getting better.

4. Pinion413

Pinion413 Icon

Oct 20, 2007
    They are. Eventually they'll hit a wall in graphic chip development, but not for a little while at least.

The other advantage the "next gen" graphics chips have to eliminate jaggies (on top of pushing more geometry) is full scene anti-aliasing. It's an algorithm that significantly helps mask the jagged edges that even today's newest games have to some degree. Older chips are capable of it, but take a serious performance hit to implement.

5. Snoofie

Snoofie Registered User

May 29, 2003
    I am consistently amazed at how good some games look. I can't tell you how many times I have been playing NBA 2K8 or Madden 08 and somebody has said that they thought it was a real game.

6. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    I have a PS3 and was esctatic to purchase the game called Heavenly Sword.

It was like watching a movie, the graphics were just..amazing.

Even Ratchet and Clank - it was like being in a Pixar movie.

The new graphics for the games we have been buying have simply been out of this world.

7. TaylorJ

TaylorJ AllStar

Nov 3, 2007
    I have a 360 and I love it. The graphics are great and live is the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.