1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video on demand

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by dnero, Dec 20, 2009.

1. dnero

dnero AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    I have 2 722 receivers one is showing all of the HD video on demand channels in the guide the other is showing 4 channels overnight update did not refresh it also did check switch to make it download the program guide that did not help.
    Should I try a power cord reset?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Have you had one receiver longer than the other?

The updates don't necessarily happen every night (with regards to the rotating VOD movies)... so inevitably one receiver can lag the other if they were not put into service at the same time.

Also, if you have timers (or are watching TV) more on one receiver than the other, that too can interfere with how/when those VOD movies get downloaded from tha SAT.

3. dnero

dnero AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    The one that bothers I have had about 2 years the other one about 1 year. I have no timers set that would interfere with that.

4. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Aside from possible problems with the receiver itself... The things most often to blame for lack of VOD are something interfering with the overnight... which could be timers OR if the receiver is left on (not in standby) all night.

Also, since they don't make updates every night to the VOD... there's no way of predicting when you are missing them. Even the receiver-scheduled nightly update for firmware/EPG technically is an interruption to this process.

Are you using one receiver differently than the other in any way? Not looking for personal info... but aside from a technical issue with the receiver, the logical culprit is how it is being used differently.

5. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Is one connected to broadband and the other not?

6. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Broadband shouldn't have anything to do with it, since he is talking about the VOD in the EPG, which comes via SAT overnight.

7. tm22721

tm22721 Legend

Nov 8, 2002
    VOD doesn't work correctly, I ordered a movie and set to record it but it did NOT record so I lost it. These sh!t boxes still have piles of S/W bugs.

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not sure what you are talking about here.

You cannot record VOD. The "On Demand" stuff is already on your DVR, either from the "On Demand" menu or from channel 1/501 in the EPG. But you cannot record them. You can only rent them for a limited time period.

In case you are talking about Dish Online... the IPTV downloads... you can't record them either. You choose one to download, and after it downloads it has an expiration date.

You can, however, record PPV... just not Dish On Demand or Dish Online.