1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videos don't work over media share

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dbronstein, Sep 7, 2011.

1. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I cannot get videos to play over media share. I've tried WMP and Tversity and I just get the message "The video [name] could not be played successfully". They are in avi format and they play perfectly fine on my PC. I can view photos perfectly fine. Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I think media share can only play videos of the .mp4 variation currently. Try using playon

3. Ken Slay

Ken Slay New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    You could also give Serviio (free) or Mezzmo (15 day trial) a try. I am confident they will solve your compatibility problems.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually it's MPEG-2 videos that Media Share can play, if I recall. It's been a while.

5. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    If using TVersity, make sure you have selected to have Tversity's "transcode" option set to Always Transcode. this will corect your issue.

6. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll try Serviio. I don't need to do this badly enough to pay for an app.

Then why does it let me see them in the list if it is unable to play avi format?

I tried that, it made no difference.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You have to be using a slightly older version of Tversity as well, nothing past 1.88 works currently..

8. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    Download version 1.8 and video files will play out just fine. Don't forget to also download the codec files too.

All other later versions still do not work with DirecTV receivers including the recent 1.9+. Don't know why....