1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

viewable greyed out channels....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JcT21, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1 of 28
    JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    channels 304 & 342 are greyed out on my guide. I can view the channels but I cant record anything on those channels. I get an error message "your receiver isn't authorized to record this program" and an option to press ok to clear the message. no error codes are provided.

ive rbr all receivers and unplugged them. I have used directv online refresh. nothing helps.

any ideas how I can get this fixed? calling directv was no help. rep said it was not a problem on their end, he blamed tvland and fusion.

EDIT: after doing a sat setup/test I get a red X on sat 101 even. is that normal or something they need to come fix? even if that's not normal, all channels do work and are viewable.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Jul 4, 2017 #2 of 28
    j.burns

j.burns New Member

Jul 4, 2017
    That is funny. I just got off the phone with DirecTV and the rep I talked with stated they know of the problem, and that it was being worked on but no ETA on when it will be fixed. Apologized and that was that.

My wife watches some show on TVLand that just stated back up and I was able to set up a manual recording for it (while giving the error message).

EDIT: the SD version of the channel does work as normal if you show your SD duplicates.

3. Jul 4, 2017 #3 of 28
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try refreshing your service and see if that fixes it.
    What does “refreshing service” mean?

4. Jul 4, 2017 #4 of 28
    mfmathis

mfmathis Mentor

Oct 5, 2007
    Chapmanville...
    Channel 304 is not grayed out, but 342 is, and I can view it also. If I try to record, I get the message "Your receiver isn't authorized to record this program." I never noticed that before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

5. Jul 4, 2017 #5 of 28
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Same issue here. I subscribe to Premier. Channel 304 (TVland) is not grayed out and can be viewed and recorded. Channel 342 (FUSN) is grayed out but can be viewed but not recorded (Your receiver is not authorized to record this program.).

6. Jul 4, 2017 #6 of 28
    TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    You can reauthorize\refresh your receiver on the D* website. Doing this will probably resolve your issue. Go to 'my equipment' and select 'refresh receiver'.

7. Jul 4, 2017 #7 of 28
    JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    rep from directv called me back as promised. they refreshed things on their end, had me go through the whole rbr & sat setup again. I mentioned others are having issues with 342 also. my hd standalone receiver did not have this issue on 304 earlier, but now it does. they cant figure out why I don't have any loss of programming since im getting an X on 101 18v even. like before, all the resets and refreshes don't help. he said that as long as im able to view programming on all channels to give it a few days to see if it works itself out. he said it could be an unknown issue not yet brought to their attention. he said after 3 days call back for a truck roll. we shall see.

8. Jul 4, 2017 #8 of 28
    CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I have 342 greyed out but I can watch it. I also have ELRey in SD but not HD. Does the box reset after doing a refresh my box? Mine didn't it just gave me a message on the refresh my box site that my box was refreshed allow five mins. between another one.

9. Jul 4, 2017 #9 of 28
    JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    the rep asked me if my box reset I told him it didn't, he said that it should have. my receivers never did reset after all those refreshes. he suggested I unplug the receivers for 30 seconds, after we hang up, to ensure the boxes got fresh info.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Same here as well ...

Premier pk. and 342 grayed-out, can view it but not record it ....

Didn't notice it before because I don't really watch Fusion, plus with the channel being grayed-out the CIG guide filter option removes it.

So far checked the Genie and an HR24 here, both are the same. ...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

11. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Same two channels recently went greyed out in our guides as well. Affects an HR44 and an HR24. Can still watch the channels. Never tried setting anything to record on either of them since they are not channels we typically watch.

12. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    304 is white today but 342 remains grayed out, watchable, but not recordable for me.

13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    What an idiot CSR. How does TVLand control access on a DirecTV DVR??? :rolleyes: Sounds like he wanted to get you off the phone and go back to surfing the web or something.

14. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The CSR is just quoting from DirecTV's Big Book Of Why The Customer Is Always Wrong. Be it a sports blackout, a missing channel, or whatever, they will argue you that WHATEVER you are getting is 100% correct, never thinking for a second that a customer knows what he is paying for and should either get sent to a tech or the issue should be reported to the uploaders.

I have had the same issue on the same 2 channels. This happens every month or so to a channel or two or three. Usually gets cleared up in a few days.

15. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    well it certainly is nice to know im not the only one having the issue. as for the red x error, I took the lnb off and tightened up the connection, ran the test again and the problem is no longer present. however those channels are still gray in the guide. perhaps it will be clear up in a few days.

I know the rep was doing whatever he could to get me off the phone. I hate getting help from someone who obviously doesn't want to help & will say anything to get me to agree and end the call. soon as we hang up I called and went through the steps to get retention. that's when I got friendly service and someone who seemed to want to help. ended up getting free showtime for 3 months for my trouble, didn't even have to ask.

16. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    I have 442 gray since the day it went live (don't watch), 342 is gray (don't watch), 304 is ok. If I set channels I get only the gray channels don't show on guide.

17. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    The device reauthorizes rather than resets. It will not reset as it would if you hit the red button. It's the same as hitting the reload page on a windows computer. Your CSR didn't know what he was talking about.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I remember as far back as '95 when we first got DIRECTV, and had our system installed by a 3rd party seller.

They would always call those receiver (re)authorizations "The Hit."

Probably long forgotten old school terminology now though I guess.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

19. Ely

Ely Cool Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I have had this issue for over a year now with some Spanish channels my mom watches, these can be watched but not recorded, when I called DirecTV last year they made me go through a lot of troubleshooting and finally I was told that this was because the station did not allow recording of their programming and that it was not DirecTV's fault.

20. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I'm surprised this is still an issue. Perhaps anyone that knows anything about how to resolve it is on vacation this past week.