1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing recordings with no subscription

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jgkurz, May 1, 2008.

1. May 1, 2008 #1 of 12
    jgkurz

jgkurz New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I fought it as long as I could but I decided to move to Comcast and a Tivo HD. Tivo is the main reason. I do think Directv still has the best HD lineup.

For now, I still have Directv hooked up but am wondering if I will still be able to view my HR21-200 recordings without a satellite connection or subscription? I have no intention of trying to record new shows (that is stealing), I just want to finish watching what's left on the drive before I get rid of it completely.

Any thoughts?

2. May 1, 2008 #2 of 12
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Remove the satellite dish connections before de-activating your account. The HR21 should still work (to view old recordings) for awhile.

However, if your HR21 is leased (almost certainly is), you will be required to return it to DirecTV. Failure to do so will result in a charge to you of something like $400 or $500.

Carl

3. May 1, 2008 #3 of 12
    or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    Directv is going to want the HR21-200 back,unless you actually own it and not leased.

4. May 1, 2008 #4 of 12
    jgkurz

jgkurz New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    That makes sense. The installer said I owned it but I will double check to be sure. Thanks for the responses.

5. May 1, 2008 #5 of 12
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    good luck in your endeavors. Please check back at some point and let us know how it works out.

6. May 4, 2008 #6 of 12
    jgkurz

jgkurz New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    My subscription was officially canceled on Friday but so far I'm still able to watch the recordings that are left on the hard drive. Directv said I own the HR21-200 and the 5 LNB dish so I'm not sure what to do them after I've watch all my shows.

Does it have any value?

7. May 4, 2008 #7 of 12
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    give you $ 20 for receiver.. :)

8. May 4, 2008 #8 of 12
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    You should be able to get at least $200 for the HR21, probably more. The dish, not so much.

9. Nov 7, 2010 #9 of 12
    magicspeller

magicspeller New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I have the same issue as the original poster. I have a lot of recordings on two R16 DVRs that I would like to view and have left my subscription open just in case. I disconnected one of the boxes and tested it before taking the antenna down, and had no trouble viewing a recording. So I went ahead and uninstalled the antenna and continued to view a couple of recorded programs.

Then, all of a sudden, the message "Receiving satellite info..." popped up on the screen, and it's been that way for the last two days.

My subscription is still active, so I'm certainly not in violation of my agreement. Is there any way I'm going to be able to view my recordings, or am I just out of luck?

Thanks for your help....

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Your sat receiver is constantly having its subscription authorization updated/refreshed. Let's say it's good for 30 days. Every day that your receiver is connected and you've paid your bill, your receiver will get a signal that "resets" the authorization for 30 days. That way, if you disconnect your receiver for a week (maybe you're remodeling that room), you can plug it right back in when you're done and things will work.

But if you exceed the 30 days, then your receiver's authorization will have expired, and you'd need to reconnect the receiver to the dish and call for reauthorization. Obviously, if you no longer have an active account, or if you don't have a dish available, then you won't be able to do this.

DirecTV designed their system specifically so that their equipment won't work (after a period of time) without an active sat subscription and signal.

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    If thats the same thing as reauthorizing the cards anyone can do it from the website. That would not be that big of a pain in the butt.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    YOu can't refresh or re-authorize services if you have cancelled.....the whole point of this thread.