1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vince Vaughn to Open The Rockford Files

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by cj9788, Apr 19, 2012.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    "Is the third time the charm for The Rockford Files? NBC tried to remake the classic James Garner detective series back in 2010 with Dermot Mulroney as the lead, and when that version of the pilot underwhelmed, the network tried again to lure a name like Josh Holloway (to no avail). Now Universal is hoping for better luck on the big screen, as they've attached Vince Vaughn to star in a Rockford Files movie that just picked up writing pair David Levien and Brian Koppelman. Do you think it will come out at the same time as Robert Downey Jr.'s Perry Mason?"

http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/vince-vaughn-to-open-the-rockford-files.html

2. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I love James Garner. I can't stand VV...

Count me out...

~Alan

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Sometimes it's well to leave a past fictitious name in the past. Who is it that remembers the original Rockford or Mason shows with fondness that's going to be enthused about seeing Vaughn play Garner's part or Downey play Burr's part? So why not give the characters new names? The scripts are going to be entirely new anyway. I don't get it.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I agree ... while there is some value in giving credit to the past much of that benefit is lost when the remake cannot live up to the memory of the original. Have a story about an ex-con detective that works cases the police have forgotten about out of his home/office trailer by the beach. Older viewers (or those watching in syndication) might recognize the character as a ripoff of Jim Rockford ... but put that name on the character and it better be a good movie.

Some remake/rehash shows have turned out better than expected. Mission Impossible was a decent movie that has spawned sequels. Hawaii Five-O manages to do well on TV (although I cannot imaging using the premise for the show without the title - the main characters are modern versions).

Personally I like what Star Trek did with "The Next Generation" - not trying to recast the 60's show but using it as a springboard where they eventually had several overlapping series that all tied together as one. Unfortunately the latest Star Trek was a rewrite/reimagining of the original story that breaks that cannon sigificantly ... which is a pattern that has been followed with the Batman and Superman series as well. Forget everything you know, we are going to retell the story with different facts.

I don't see the point with Rockford. A similar character is an easy creation and Vince Vaughn is no James Garner. Vince has been in too many crappy movies to play Rockford as anything less than a farce.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I totally agree. Unfortunately Hollywood loves franchising.

6. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    It's because they can't think of any new ideas :nono:

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Agreed!

At least they could have the courtesy and wait until James Garner was dead before raping The Rockford Files

8. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    And another who won't be watching VV (in anything)...

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Same here.

10. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I could buy off on VV being Jim Rockford's son and Jim and Rocky reversing roles as the father. But James Garner is Jim Rockford.

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That would require some creative thinking. Hollywood stopped hiring writers with that ability decades ago.

12. jbail51

jbail51 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2010
    amen on that, vv is so not funny....

13. jbail51

jbail51 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2010
    vv NOT FUNNY

14. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    I'm not sure Rockford will work as well in a feature film format. 90-120 minutes just isn't enough time to explain the interesting back story of the character. it's probably going to end up just a bunch of mindless car chases and shot outs and VV will substitute wisecracks for character development.

Off topic, but whatever happened to the CBS reboot of the Riffleman? I thought that was going to show up this spring/summer???

15. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I have always wondered how much better an investigator Jim would have been had he all the toys available today. He was at the fore front with the answer machine and I think he would have loved having a cell phone.

I want to lnow who is gonna play Angle and LT. Becker. Will they have Rocky and will he still live in a trailer on the beach?

I am not happy with VV but I will see it just to see what they do with the character.

16. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Knowing today's Hollywood, Angel will some super gorgeous lady who Jim rescued from being a a strung out prostitute. Lt. Becker will be some goof ball who should not be allowed to carry gun (let alone be on the force) and Rocky will be an illegitimate child of a different race who Jim never knew existed.
    Jim will also probably live either on a house boat or some dump in the hood.

No more firebird either for Jim as he will end updriving around in either a Prius,a Hyundai, or the lemon which looks like it came right out of 'Uncle Buck'

17. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Maybe they will dig up KITT.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    An interesting contrast in choices!

I expect the car chosen will be based on sponsorship. Yes, I've noticed how many Chevys are on Hawaii-Five-O and the prominent shots of the vehicles and their logos whenever seen. Sometimes it seems I'm watching a long form car advertisement instead of a cops and robbers chase scene. Product placements have become blatant to the point of changing the script. Subway's marketing attempts on Chuck and Hawaii-Five-O have not gone unnoticed.

My bet would be the car will be a re-release. An old car where the looks are lot like the new ones ... but you can bet whatever car "Rockford" drives it will be parked next to some shiny ones with prominent brand tags as part of product placement.

19. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    If you had to pick a better new Jim Rockford than VV, who who it be?
    Liev Schreiber?

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Better than VV? That list would be endless.