1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIP 211 - after CheckSwitch what?

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by WanFittit, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WanFittit

WanFittit Cool Member

May 11, 2006
    Just had the upgrade to two 211's and want to be sure that things are optimal.
    Check switch confirms getting 4 signals - but my question is - do I need to fuss with the Transponder/ Satellites settings till I get the strongest signal, or does the system do that automatically?

Apologies if this basic question has been covered before, but I've not found the answer after a good root around.

Thanks

2. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    No, just get the strongest signal you can on Point Dish (may be a compromise on the strength of the 129/119/110 satellites). Each transponder will then be all it can be. There are no individual adjustments for those.

3. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    I've been wondering this myself. So are you saying that when you check each SAT (110, 119, 61.5), toggle thru the transponders and when you get to the one that gives the highest signal, leave it there & then go to the next SAT, do the same thing, etc. Then click "Done" & the receiver will retain those transponder settings?

Ken

4. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    No, the transponder signal isn't set in the receiver, it's measured. It can vary with atmospheric conditions. And, I suppose that Dish could change the power to the transponder, and that would change the measurement.

Most people use "Point Dish" and transponder 11 on each satellite to peak the dish alignment.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Check switch is the process that your receiver runs to take an inventory of the satellite signal it is receiving.

6. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    You've got it a little backwards. In normal operation you don't get to select the transponder, the receiver automatically goes to the TP that carries the channel you want to see. When aiming, you pick a transponder, perhaps 11 as suggested, then you fuss with the dish until you have the highest signal you can get. That should leave you peaked for all TPs from that sat. Since any multi-sat dish is a compromise, get the most you can from the weakest sat, 129. 110 and 119 have plenty of margin to sacrifice a few points to let you have the best aim you can for 129.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.