1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vip 622 New Features Wish list

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by AllenF, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Feb 28, 2006 #1 of 204
    AllenF

AllenF New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    I see that there are some here who would like a feature added to their ViP 662.

I started this thread as a wish list so that we can let Dish know what we would like our 622's to have that would make them better.

I wish they would add in the output resolution menu page a native pass through option.

For example, if the show is on a station that uses 720P then the 622 would out put 720P when I change to another station and it is transmitting in 1080i then the 622 would output 1080i without me having to go into the menu and manually change this output setting. Lastly if the channel is Standard Def 480i then that is what is outputted from the 622 to my video display.

Why is this desired or important? On fixed pixel devices the converters that are built in may do a better job of conversion than the 622. It is this way with my 3 chip DLP front projector. If I watch 1080i and the projector scales too 720P then the picture is sharper and cleaner then if I set the 622 to 720P and the 622 converts the 1080i to 720P. The same is true for 720P. Sending the native resolution of the source material to my projector is better than letting the 622 do the conversion and then sending that to my display.

Another feature I would like to see is for the PIP to be equal size and displayed side by side. This way you can see both images without part of it covering another.

I hope others will add to this thread and more importantly I hope Dish Network listens and if possible adds these features to the ViP 622.:D

2. Feb 28, 2006 #2 of 204
    Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    I would like to see the ViP622 have the ability to buffer two tuners at the same time without having PIP on the screen.

3. Feb 28, 2006 #3 of 204
    DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    I wish the installer would hurry up and get here. I have an 8-12 appointment today and all he has to do is swap out a DP34 for a DPP44 and give me a separator. No Dish 1000 needed or wanted. The receiver is in the rack with all other wiring connected. It's currently 9:30 and waiting. Once we are hooked up I think think of the next wish!

..Doyle

4. Feb 28, 2006 #4 of 204
    airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    I wish I can schedule a recording via the web.

5. Feb 28, 2006 #5 of 204
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Native Pass through feature. However, I would like both a native pass through choise and the ability to select a given output for a given input resolution. (Example: Set 480i to native and 720p to 1080i and 1080i native) something like that.

DVR button configurable (Default to go to recorded programs).

SAN archive support.

Enable Receiver Validation through the user of Ethernet as an alternative to Lan Line Validation.

And ofcourse :welcome_s AllenF

6. Feb 28, 2006 #6 of 204
    liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    Wireless network capability for downloading recorded shows onto the computer or to a USB attached hard drive would be nice.

7. Feb 28, 2006 #7 of 204
    Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter Legend

Oct 10, 2005
    I would love to have a screen positioning feature as the 811 has. I tried every which way to get it right with no luck. I purchased the 811/34" HDTV combo a few years ago and now upgraded to the 622 but lost the feature, and wish it would re-appear.

With HDMI to DVI it is downright off-center, it chops off the first two numbers in the EPG and the 1/2 of the bottom line just for you guys to have an idea how bad it is. With the component it is not as bad but still off to the left. While watching La Liga on worldsport the little box with the score on the left top had the letters WORL chopped off from the WORLDSPORT.

Not sure if this is only a monitor problem, but a screen positioning would be very very helpful.

Also folders would be awesome. I already have a bunch of movies/kids/sports already recorded and would love to sort them accordingly.

8. Feb 28, 2006 #8 of 204
    voripteth

voripteth Legend

Oct 25, 2005
    Toggle closed captions on and off with a single button on the remote. Option to automatically turn on closed captions when the receiver is muted.

Program folders - When setting up a timer the show can be placed in a named folder. Option to lock a folder for viewing with a password.

A display option for DVR recordings that automatically groups episodes of the same show into a folder with the show's name. The folder shows the number of episodes it contains.

There are a bunch of enhancements I'd like to see for searching. Filter results according to your guide selection. Your channel guide can show all channels, subscribed channels or your favorite channels. Whatever I have selected for my channel guide, search results return results based on that selection.

Search currently does not work for any adult channels. It should include these if they are included in subscribed or favorite channels.

Pressing the Play button displays the progress bar for the currently viewed program without interrupting the program.

9. Feb 28, 2006 #9 of 204
    Pat A

Pat A Mentor

May 29, 2002
    I have not upgraded my 942 yet, but I have a couple of suggestions for features that I would like to see added to the Dish DVRs:
    1) I would like to be able to schedule recorded events for playback. This could be used in conjuction with the IR blaster to dump programs to a VCR or DVD recorder at night, without babysitting it.
    2) How about the ability to record from an existing recorded event during playback. This would allow us to save a scene or part of an event without having to save the whole thing.

10. Feb 28, 2006 #10 of 204
    voripteth

voripteth Legend

Oct 25, 2005
    Use an external USB drive as expansion space for the DVR, not just as an archive. USB 2.0 is fast enough to stream the required data for playback. At a scheduled time (middle of the night) the DVR auto-archives the oldest programs from the main drive to the external USB to free up space. Protected programs do not get moved.

Sound feedback for skip ahead and skip back buttons. (Feedback so I can hear how many times the receiver thinks I hit the buttons.)

Remote control key for scrolling the channel guide a screen at a time horizontally a page at a time.

When programming a timer and there is a conflict, show the events that are in conflict with the option to skip any of the conflicting items. For example, I want to set up a timer to record Show A from 8 to 10. A conflict screen appears showing me that I already have Show B and Show C scheduled during that time. Give me the option of skipping B or C and recording A. Another option is to use the Cancel button to back out without creating a timer. (Currently it creates a timer even if you cancel.)

And option to make a single press of the DVR button go to my recordings.

11. Feb 28, 2006 #11 of 204
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What of the non-standard modes (1280x1080i) that Dish reportedly uses to save bandwidth? Will a majority of the display devices adapt? I'm doubtful that this will fly unless they offer comprehensive menu of display devices.

12. Feb 28, 2006 #12 of 204
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    That is why I suggested that you need more than just native pass through. Need native pass through and and ability to configure on an input content format basis.

13. Feb 28, 2006 #13 of 204
    ac_burt

ac_burt Cool Member

Feb 16, 2006
    I know Dish has invested in Slingbox and I would love it if they were able to give us the Slingbox capability using our 622 boxes.

14. Feb 28, 2006 #14 of 204
    moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    Many great ideas here. Especially being able to center the screen, simplified closed caption on/off and programmable DVR button. As a former TiVo owner, the thing I miss most is the way it would automatically back up about 15 seconds when you hit the PLAY button during fast-forward.

15. Feb 28, 2006 #15 of 204
    boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    It would be great to have an automatic title search letter builder in the KEYWORD feature. So when a letter is typed say, "L" a list of L words appear and as you type each letter say, "LO" everything with LO appear to narrow down a long list of L words. This would greatly reduce the time it takes to enter a title by having to punch in several letters. If searching looking for, "LOST" and you type in "L" then the ability to scroll down to LOST and select would be very cool.

16. Feb 28, 2006 #16 of 204
    airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    Great one boyle. I have the same feature in my in-car navigation system, and it sure does make searching a lot faster.

17. Feb 28, 2006 #17 of 204
    John Ashman

John Ashman Mentor

Feb 2, 2006
    Dual zone HDTV output instead of SD with dual HDMI. I don't even have a standard TV any more.

I also hope it has a zoom feature for SD material because one of my LCDs doesn't have it. Of course, since my 622 is two weeks overdue, I don't have a good idea of what it doesn't have.

18. Feb 28, 2006 #18 of 204
    John Ashman

John Ashman Mentor

Feb 2, 2006
    OOH, OOH, here's what we need!!!!!!!!!!

A *modulated* HDTV output (channel 3.1?) on Zone 2. That way a single coax could carry the HDTV signal to *any* HDTV, anywhere in the house. THAT is a good feature!

19. Feb 28, 2006 #19 of 204
    boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    Gosh, I wish that would have been the standard with the 622. I hope that the future HD DVR models have this feature! I imagine that after 2009 all receivers manufactured will.

20. Feb 28, 2006 #20 of 204
    Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Legend

Aug 25, 2002
    How about a waver for the dish on demand. I want to reclaim the hard drive space. I'll never use that feature. Also I want it removed from the menu.