1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIP 722 DVR use???

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by moreira85, Mar 18, 2009.

1. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    i have the VIP722 and works great. i have one box and two TVS that is hooked up too. If i find a program i want to record i just dvr it.
    Here is the problem, I will be watching a show and the wife has a showed that she has programed to be recorded and the channel changes to her channel to her show and I cant switch back to my station without stopping her recording?
    How do i solve this issue? i thought you could record 3 shows at one time while watching a different channel?

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    :welcome_s

You have two satellite tuners and one off-the-air tuner (OTA). The best you can do is record two and watch one live. You can record three and watch a recording. If you don't have OTA, then it drops by one.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The 722 only has 2 sat tuners, shared between 2 TVs. If you are recording on both sat tuners, then you don't have a 3rd sat tuner to watch live programming.

The "3rd Tuner" is the OTA ATSC tuner, so if you've got an antenna hooked up, you can watch (or record) a show on one of your local digital broadcast channels. The OTA tuner is only available on the TV1 for live viewing, though recordings from that tuner are available on both TVs.

4. moreira85

moreira85 New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    so to get this straight I can record 2 channels at the same time but cant watch a separate channel while those 2 are recording. correct?
    I can record 2 at the same time but will have to watch one of the 2 stations that are recording.

5. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    If you don't have OTA that is correct. You can however watch a recorded show at the same time two other shows are recording. Most people with DVRs start to develop a habit of watching the recorded material when possible.

Welcome to DBSTalk. I would suggest checking out the tips and tricks section at the top of the Sticky. Should have some useful links there.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Without a doubt! I refuse to watch live TV. If I have a show that is recording, I'll not watch it until it's done recording, and will watch something else in the meantime. I hate not having full control.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    :lol:

We DVR control freaks rarely watch anything live except a life-threatening breaking news story. Our daily "prime time" runs from about 6 to 10 and we frequently chew up over 5 hours of TV shows commercial skipping. Tonight we watched:

Brothers & Sisters from Sunday
    The Unit from Sunday
    Lie to Me from tonight
    Life from tonight
    How I Met Your Mother from Monday
    Daily Show from last night

Ran beyond 10 a little. But yep, we're control freaks. Of course, sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming how much we record. But in our house we not only time or day shift, we season shift some fall and winter shows so when the schedule get's thin we have things to watch.;)