ViP 722 getting error message #788

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by richtidd, May 12, 2009.

1. richtidd

richtidd New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I have been getting error message #788 on a ViP722 with WD 500GB HD lately that reads as follows:
    “The attached external USD storage device is currently configured for use with another Dish Network receiver external DVR archive devices may only be used with one receiver at a time.

Would you like to update the USB storage device to allow this Dish Network receiver to access its contents:
    Yes, Cancel, NO”

I have not made any equipment changes.
    The WD EHD has always worked & I lasted archived last week OK.
    Rebooting the 722 twice does not work. One reboot was the pull the plug.
    Dish re-hit the EHD to the 722 twice but I still cannot access the EHD.

What will happen if I press "YES"? Does it reformat the EHD or mealy reconnect to it without losing recorded programs?

Richard Tidd

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Don't press "Yes", call tech support. Your account has an ID code for EHD's that sometimes the boxes lose. Tech support can restore it.

If it isn't that, then it may be a problem with your drive. I have four WD drives and have had no problems but drives are drives and others have had problems.

If you want to mess with replacing the USB cable first, that might be worth trying.

3. richtidd

richtidd New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    As indicated, Dish re-hit the box twice for the EHD & it did not work.
    Guess it is the 722.

4. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Before they allowed unlimited swaps between account receivers, there was a three limit swap. I wonder if that's what's happening here. It doesn't say that the drive will be reformatted; only that the receiver can access the contents. Normally, if the drive is going to be reformatted, it will ask for a confirmation. What are your options here? Tech support can't do anything. Pressing YES is a 50/50 chance that the drive won't be wiped.
    Let us know what you do and what happens.

5. dougmcbride

dougmcbride AllStar

Apr 17, 2005
    I got a different 722 after a HD failure in my previous receiver and when I went to access the EHD I got that question. I said yest and it just seemed to pair with that drive. Contents were still intact. Agree on the confirmation message before it formats anyway.

Doug

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I wonder why tech support couldn't tell him that?

Oh, I forgot....:nono: