1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ViP 722DVR question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Johnboat, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Johnboat

Johnboat AllStar

Nov 25, 2006
    I currently have Direct TV, I'm thinking of making the move to Dish Network. One question I have about the ViP 722DVR is can you listen to music (MP3s) streamed from you computer like you can with the Direct TV DVR?

2. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I moved from DirecTV to Dish about a month ago (and quite happy I did) - I haven't hooked up my 722 to the network but AFAIK, the only reason to do so is to gain access to VOD. I don't believe there's a provision for streaming MP3s. I'm sure others will chime in on future plans...

I hope the installers in West Michigan are better than what I got here. The first guy was horrible. The second guy was great - and was not happy to have to clean up the first guys mess...

3. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    It does not have support for playing MP3s. You can get music channels over the sat however.

4. Johnboat

Johnboat AllStar

Nov 25, 2006
    Bummer, hopefully they add it someday.

Overall, how do you guys like Dish Network? I like D* but I have the HR20-700 DVR and I've always thought it seemed sluggish. Does the ViP722DVR preform well?

Thanks

5. Johnboat

Johnboat AllStar

Nov 25, 2006
    What is AFAIK?

6. todbnla

todbnla Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    39466 Deep...
    As
    Far
    As
    I
    Know....:)

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    AFAIK = as far as I know

See the "Acronyms" link on the DBSTalk main page

8. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I really liked DirecTV for the first six months I had the HR20, the last six months were a nightmare. Blank recordings mostly...until the x254 software release which also added lockups! I couldn't even use the pause button.

The new MPEG4 HD on Dish is on part with DirecTV for the most part. The SD I think is worse than DirecTV, if that's possible. But the 722 DVR is easily the most polished, rock solid machine I've used (And I own a TiVo Series 3). I had read nothing but great reviews and it exceed even those lofty expectations.

The only thing I miss is SpeedHD, hopefully Dish will add it one day. But I need a reliable DVR or all the rest is meaningless - and in my experience only Dish offers that...

UPDATE: I always forget to mention the coolest thing (if you're a sports fan) - if you use the 722 in 'single tuner' mode you get Dual Live Buffers and Picture-In-Picture!

9. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Does not VOD come from the Satellite only? :rolleyes:

10. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I must be confusing it with how DirecTV does it then....

But that begs the question as to why you need networking on the 722?

EDIT: Actually DishONLINE does use the internet connection. From the Dish website:
    "Internet-connected ViP 622 and ViP722 receivers can download movies to the hard drive through the receiver’s Ethernet connection. This IP-based Video on Demand (IP-VOD) service provides an extensive collection of pay-per-view titles, both new releases and past favorites.

To access this feature, select the DISH On Demand tab from the main menu (or hit your remote’s DVR button), and then select the DishONLINE tab."

11. DishSatUser

DishSatUser AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    It can come from both. There is DishOnline that greatly expands the selection of content beyond that streamed to the system from Sat. Provides a very large selection that is then downloaded. Some is free, some is PPV.

Channel 501 is that downloaded from Sat during non-tuner use to a special DishNetwork only partition on the hard drive. The use of the DishNetwork partition does not diminish the capacity of what you can record. They essentially put in a large hard drive and then hid part of it from the customer and then advertised the useable space for the customer.

So far, all 501 content is PPV.

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Nope. Dishonline is not VOD. At the dishonline you can opt to be switched to cinemanow.com and download video content from them to your PC. Dishonline will provide some www control of your DVR, to include scheduling timers, etc.

13. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Salti, they are refering to the Dishonline from the receiver menu, not www.dishonline.com. The receiver's Dishonline offers downloadable video, so I guess it's VOD after the download. The channel 501 content is real VOD since it is downloaded sometime during the night and is already sitting on your HD.

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I apologize for any confusion I have caused.