VIP612 User Wondering If Wally Will Work

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Doug Huntsman, May 18, 2020.

1. Doug Huntsman

Doug Huntsman New Member

May 18, 2020
    Hello, I'm new to the DBSTalk forum. I am a Dish Network customer with one VIP612 DVR receiver with a Dish HD antenna attached to my house (I've attached photos). I just bought an RV last week, and it came with a Wally receiver and King Dish Tailgater Pro antenna. I tried hooking up my VIP612 to the King and had no luck. I don't wish to add another receiver to my account, as I'm thinking of swapping my 612 for the Wally. But I hooked the Wally up to my home system, and it did not work as well. After doing some research, I'm thinking in order to have the Wally work in my home, I need to change my home Dish HD antenna to the 1000.2? That way I could swap out the 612 for the Wally, and just take the Wally out of my house and use it in my RV when I go camping (with the Dish Tailgater Pro). I hooked up the Wally with the Tailgater, and verified it works just fine. It just didn't have any programming activated. I'm hoping someone here can affirm my rationale or if I'm off base or out of luck. Thanks. If this does work, I'd like to add the Dish external hard drive to the Wally for DVR purposes. Would that work as well? IMG_9280.jpg IMG_9279.jpg IMG_9278.jpg IMG_9277.jpg

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Tailgater and Dish 1000.2 are not interchangeable. VIP 612 does not have software to operate Tailgater. Decide what you want a RV dish or a home system. You might be able to run a check switch each time you switch dishes.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Wally would work better if you want to use just one receiver and move between the RV and the house. Wally can function as a DVR with an external USB2 harddrive (and onetime account fee of $40). However, if you try to use an VIP612 HD on the Wally, it will not be compatible and the Wally would reformat the drive.
    When doing this, when you move the Wally to the RV or back into the home, You would need to do a check switch.
    The Wally should be able to use any dish / LNB that the VIP612 can use, but using the 1000.2 western or eastern arcs are preferred.
    When travelling with the RV, you will need to change your service address to get the local networks. NYDutch (a fulltime RVer) can give you the skinny on that, but it looked to be very simple.