1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIP622 Help

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by nategp, Dec 14, 2010.

1. nategp

nategp New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I've had my 622 for about 3 or 4 years now. I never noticed this before but we had a hurricane which pretty much destroyed our house and I put my 722 and 622 in storage for a while til the house was repaired. The 622 is in my room hooked up to a HD TV and hooked up to a SD TV in my sons room. I know it down converts the HD channels on his output but they still show up in the guide and he can watch the channel even though it says HD. Now if he turns on his TV and starts watching before i turn on mine in my room I cant get HD channels but if I turn off his TV and turn mine on I get the HD channels and his are blacked out. This creates all kinda havoc when I'm trying to record HD content in my room because its a hassle to check and make sure hes not on his TV. I am assuming this is not right and was wondering if the 622 is defective or not.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  3. nategp

nategp New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm at work but reading the description in the link you gave me I'm pretty sure its in dual mode cause we can watch separate programs at the same time. I might not have been clear enough though. If he turns on his TV (Tuner 2) first all my HD channels are blacked out on my screen (Tuner1) but my SD channels still work and if I turn mine on first I can get all my channels HD and SD but he cant get down converted HD channels on his TV. So its a problem watching the HD channels at the same time.

4. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    I know in single mode my 622 can tune in the same HD channel on both tuners...but it sounds like the receiver can't down-convert AND display the original HD signal at the same time in dual mode..

5. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Just as a sanity check, could you hit Menu-6-1-1 on TV1 once when you can get HD channels, making note of which Sat and Tuner it displays initially. Then repeat that while you aren't able to get HD channels because the other room started using the receiver first? The fact that you are watching TV1 doesn't mean you are using Tuner 1. But you might be both when it works and when it doesn't.

I'd also be curious what happens if you are there in signal strength screen at the main TV and change the Tuner while giving you black screens for the HD channels. If TV2 is "on" (doesn't really matter if the TV is physically on, but rather if the TV2 LED on the front is on), changing TV1's tuner should warn you that you will disrupt TV2. If you OK that, does TV1 again gain control so that HD channels aren't "black"?

It would also help to know how the receiver connects to the dish. A separator and then a single cable from 622 to dish? Two individual cables to the dish? What does Check Switch report your setup to be - 1k2 with separator?

You don't make any mention of the 722. Is it working fine, or not even connected now? If it is just in another room, is the behavior the same if you swap the 622 and 722? No matter what your answers, I don't have a solution. But someone reading it might be triggered to mention "I saw that when ...".

6. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Bill,

I haven't really got a clue on this one - yet. And I may not have much time before my nut-job stalker starts interfering with this thread.

A thought. Even if in dual Mode, might not his TV2 be viewing the "wrong" NTSC channel and thus actually be seeing TV1?

7. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Does the 622 have an OTA tuner? If so, just 1? Are they trying to view OTA at the same time? Just a thought, no idea of the problem.

8. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    It sounds like pretty much everything was re-wired when the receivers came out of storage. If the coax TV2 viewing instead selected the TV1 channel, they would both be seeing the same thing (kinda single mode while in dual mode). But then, HD channels would be available both places.

I can't make out what it means for the HD channels to be "blacked out". I could interpret that to mean Ch 107 and 107 (HD) are both displayed in the guide, but when 107 HD is picked, the screen is black. It could mean they are removed from the Guide and only SD is available.

None of these possibilities fall into things I've experienced. I'm thinking something along the lines of the two discrete coax lines to the two tuners (no separator in use) and tuner 1 has a full complement of sat slots but tuner 2 only gets 119. Or when put back into service, a plain splitter was used instead of a separator and the receiver expects tuner two to switch sats by sending commands out tuner 1 coax. Just connecting tuner 1 and tuner 2 from a real separator to the opposite ports could cause tuner 2 to work normally (TV1 or TV2 getting assigned to tuner two based on who starts things?) but tuner 1 not being able to change sat location at all.

That's sort of why it seemed like a good idea for both TV1 and TV2 to do point dish and verify each can select all three sat locations independently. I really have no clue as to what is actually happening. shadough could be right and "HD channels" only refer to OTA? But TV2 has never been able to select OTA in Dual mode.

9. nategp

nategp New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I didn't have any time to try anything last night. I'll post after I get home tonight and give the info needed to try to get this nailed down.

10. nategp

nategp New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I didn't have any time to try anything last night. I'll post after I get home tonight and give the info needed to try to get this nailed down.

Cabill, the channel shows up in the guide but when I switch to the channel there is nothing but a black screen.

11. nategp

nategp New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I swapped out the 722 and 622 and I don't get the problem so I'm assuming the 622 is defective somehow. Im going to call Dish and see about getting an upgrade or replacement.