1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ViP622/ViP722 - Report L6.18 Stuttering/lip Sync issues here

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Ron Barry, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    ViP622/ViP722 - L6.18 Stuttering lip sync Issues Discussion

There has been some reports regarding stuttering and lip sync issues with L6.18. To better track these in an attempt to quantify what is being experienced by our users it made sense to create a seperate thread discussing them.

If you are experiencing these issues, please provide as much details as possible including the type of channels you are seeing it on. How often you are experiencing the issues, What DMA you are in if it is local based, Your Sat Configuration, Have you found a work around, 622 or 7220 etc. The more details the better.

2. Spoonser

Spoonser AllStar

Feb 16, 2008
    I have 6.18 on my 722 (I'm in Charlotte, NC). I'm not sure when it downloaded, but I did notice that it rebooted itself before American Idol on Tuesday, and actually did the same thing at around the same time the week before.

I don't know if the reboots are related, but in approximately the same time frame, I started having major lip (sound) synch problems. This happened while watching Fox (watching the recording during recording Idol via LIL) as well as recorded TNT HD (Law and Order). There have been issues here and there like this before, but never this much delay.

One note is that the Law and Order seemed to get corrected sometimes during a commercial break but then would get out of synch again. Weird. :confused:

I'd appreciate any input- maybe it's not the software?

3. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Lots of audio dropouts and stuttering/pixelation. Saw it happening somewhat on 6.17 and now, on 6.18, it's happening with everything we watch, live or dvr'd.

4. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    So what are you watching that you are seeing it on. I am in Orange County and I am not seeing what you are describing so figured we might be able to do a comparison if it is everything.

5. girdnerg

girdnerg AllStar

May 17, 2007
    My 622 with 6.18 really started acting weird yesterday. Did a power cord reset and problems still exist.

-skip back button presses were delayed by 10 seconds. at first I thought the 622 had locked up, but it hadn't. this was on live TV. I was just trying to go back in the buffer.

-several reoccuring timers do not fire correctly. my daily Jeopardy! recording has now recorded the wrong channel 2 different times.

-previously recorded events do not play back properly. slow, studdering, not showing the correct time left, and trick play delays.

-all OTA channels went to black for about 5 minutes. I was recording off the sat at the time and couldn't do a reset. went into menu, guide, and swapped tuners and channels. not sure what brought them back.

6. 4apex

4apex Cool Member

Nov 13, 2003
    I just got 6.18 a couple of nights ago.

A couple of weeks ago, around the 13th of March, I began to experience major stuttering problems along with the audio sync issues and a sluggish, sometimes unresponsive receiver. For example, if I press the forward or backward jump buttons, the system may not respond for several seconds, and when it does, it usually causes the audio sync issue. It's almost as if the receiver is running really really slow (like when a computer becomes really sluggish - you get delayed reactions to mouse/keyboard clicks).
    I should also add that this started happening shortly after I got 6.17

I was hoping 6.18 would solve it, but here we are with the same exact issues. I can't believe Dish is not aware of this problem. Someone please tell me that Dish is at least listening, because this is ridiculous. Especially when they are charging us extra for the "privilege" of having one of their DVRs AND HD DVR.

7. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    It sounds more like you are having a hardware problem of some sort. Have you called Dish about this? I assume you have already done a power cord reset on the receiver.

8. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Do a power cord reset if you have not already done that. Software issues usually don't take days to surface so you might be having something else going on.

9. 4apex

4apex Cool Member

Nov 13, 2003
    Are you serious? There are a number of complaints with 6.17 and 6.18, and the problems only popped up when the software was downloaded and installed. I don't think it's a coincidence that many people suddenly have hardware problems just at the same time that new software is released.

I also have a 622 and so far that one doesn't have issues. And yes, I've done the power cord reset, the power-button-for-ten-seconds reset and the smart card reset.

10. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Yes I think ChuckA was serious and not off base. Been around a long time where i have seen hardware failures happen right around a release. It happens more than one thinks and given that you indicated that the problems happened shortly after (not immediate) and does not clear with a hard reboot it makes hardware as a possibility a reality and something worth investigating.

As for "many people", this is but a small sampling of people with the hardware that are having issues so you are mainly going to see people reporting problems. What I tend to look for is patterns to help determine if what is being reported is a defect, hardware issue, or unknown. I have not seen a pattern for the issue you described so I personally don't quickly jump to must be defect, but are more into a trouble shooting mode. On that note.

I would be curious how many timers, timer events, and Dish Passes your box has. In the past sluggish performance has been related to boxes with a lot of one of these types and something to check.

Is your 722 connected to an EHD? if so, try disconnecting it for a while and see if that helps.

Is this happening all the time? Does it work fine for a while and then start acting sluggish? Any differences between your 722 and 622 in regards to configuration? For these type of issues... More info the better.

11. mrplow

mrplow Mentor

Dec 10, 2004
    I am having audio stuttering and major lip sync problems with both of my 722 w/6.18. The problem is mainly w/CBS OTA shows, I been out of town so I have not watch many other network shows.

12. T-Rex

T-Rex Cool Member

Jan 16, 2008
    I am experiencing glitches when playing back recorded programs where the audio and video cuts out momentarily (for about a second) at random intervals. I have tried restarting and unplugging the 722 without solving the problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

13. pdl2mtl90

pdl2mtl90 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Can't help but hopefully someone can because my 622 has been doing this ever since I plugged in that stupid smart card. My wife is getting extremely frustrated with it.

14. T-Rex

T-Rex Cool Member

Jan 16, 2008
    When I called tech support about this problem, they said the hard drive is corrupted. They are sending me a replacement. My only problem now is that my external HD is almost full, so I don't have space to transfer all of my recorded content. : (

15. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Clear space on the EHD or just get another. You can use as many as you like.

16. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Be sure to let us know if the refurb fixes the problem!

17. Kman68

Kman68 AllStar

Jan 24, 2008
    How is the unit's ventilation? I installed an external fan to cool the unit down and it rarely stutters now.

18. pdl2mtl90

pdl2mtl90 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Already have cooling fans on the back of my entertainment center. Never had this problem until I inserted the smart (dumb?) card.

19. 4apex

4apex Cool Member

Nov 13, 2003
    And I find it less than a coincidence that it was working fine until I got the last 2 software updates. I can understand if my receiver was starting to show *some* signs of problems or failure before the updates. But it wasn't, it was working perfectly. So if you've seen failures shortly after a software update, what does that tell you?

I agree that on here there may be a small sampling, but what we dont' know are the number of "normal people" (those that don't obssess on web forums over software updates) that are having problems and whose only source of resolution is calling dish. Dish has put out some bad software in the past, and when you call the CSR ALWAYS says, "that's the first I've heard of it", and they will continue to deny the problem until the fix is ready to go out, then, suddenly, they are aware of the problem and tell you a fix is going out.
    Also, as I said, there are others here on this forum, and on other forums, that have experienced the SAME EXACT issue I'm experiencing , and they all have said it started happening right after the software update. So are you suggesting that our units all, coincidentally, started failing, with the exact same symptoms, at the same time?

I only have about 6 timers, and no Dish Passes. It is not connected to an external drive. It seems to work fine after a reboot, however, I do notice that if I start to pause or go back, then it will begin to stutter and "freeze". SOMETIMES, getting back to "live" will help it run a little smoother. But I've also noticed that when playing back a recorded program will exhibit the same behavior. What I've not been able to determine is if that's because that's the way it recorded, or if the playback is stuttering because the receiver itself is acting up. I could, but haven't yet, tested to see if a recorded program that exhibits that behavior will playback fine after a reboot.

My 622 is working fine, and there is nothing different about either's configuration.

Could it be possible that there is a software issue with certain builds of the 722?
    If I sound more than annoyed it's because I am, and won't accept excuses. I pay for my service a year in advance and I buy my receivers outright. I not asked Dish to give me anything other than reliable service.

20. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Shortly is the key word here... If I recall you indicated a few days after the update and that is what I found unusual. Software defects of this nature usually don't take days to surface. They usually surface much quicker from my experience. Does it mean it does not happen. No.. Just is not a common occurance.

I believe this ia generalization and given my contact with the CSR organization is limited, I will have to go off reports here.. I here various reports from CSRs not having a clue to knowing of the problem being reported. Depends a lot of time of day, what level in the CSR branch etc. This is where the term CSR roulette comes into play. Given the number of receivers and the size of the service orginization, I am not suprised CSR are not up to date with issues as much as we would like them to be. Dish needs to do a better at this for sure but if your point is they are attempting to hide defects on purpose well that is a topic for the general forums.

Nope not suggesting that at all. Just trying to gather information in hopes to provide patterns that might lead to root causing a problem. Perhaps since you are close to the experience you can connect the dots to other reports though at this time I cannot. I have seen some reports come in after yours that sound similar, but that definitely does not mean they are the same. The reports are too generic at this time so the more details the better. One thing I can say is this is not widespread with the users of the forum or I would be seeing a lot more posting on it.

Good info above. This has ruled out in my eyes any issue with processing of timers/Dish passes. The fact that did a hard reboot should rule out issues with a possible corrupted download. Is it on all content or just specific content. Seems based on specific channels. From your timer count it appears the box is not under heavy load. Where are you located? What DMA. Might be location based.

If this is reproducable at will with your 722, then I would recommend creating the same exact show timer and see if you can reproduce them on both boxes.

Yes it could be possible.. Definitely have seen behavior be model specific before. Moman had audio issues in St. Louis that effected his 622 but was fine on his 722 (Possible got that reversed.

As for being annoyed. Nothing wrong with that as long as it does not turn into bashing which is against support forum rules. Personally I would be too since i know first hand how annoying audio issues can be. However, I also know that root causing these type of issues are tough given not all receivers are seeing them and it my be a localized issue. In my opinion, Quickest way to a resolution is to both report it here and with Dish. More details the better and if you can reproduce at will by all means give the exact steps here for others to try.

Given the timing and that it started appearing a few days after the release another possibilty is something was changed upstream that is effecting your receiver.

What I recommend for reports like this. I would create a new thread with as much details as you can offer. That way others can post directly to that thread and it gives it a bit more focus. We like to keep discussions here, but if a report smells like what I would consider a severity #1 defect then having a seperate thread makes sense and gives the topic more focus. I would then contact Dish with the same info. Possible point to the thread and we can go from there.