1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vip722 hooked up to (2) SDTV

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by wharfrat, May 28, 2008.

1. wharfrat

wharfrat New Member

May 25, 2004
    I'm thinking about making a move to Dish, and have a coupon for a free Vip722. I don't have an HDTV yet, but plan to get one within a year. Can I use this DVR with 2 non HDTV's, but still get the digital locals & (sub-channels), if
    I pay for the local package? It looks like you need at least one HDTV, but the info is not clear to me. Thank You.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's a question you need to ask DISH Network.

In the past, they've not demonstrated an interest in accommodating what you propose. This may change substantially after the analog shut-off if they're opposed to it now.

3. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Yes, you can use the 722 without having a HD TV. You can connect TV1 using composit cables or an S-video cable. TV2 is always SD. However, I believe there is an additional charge if you don't order an HD package.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Absolutely, the 722 has SD 480i outputs for both tuners plus it has an agile modulator (sort of a small 2 channel TV transmitter) to send high dB NTSC signals to remote TVs on channels you select. All outputs are active simultaneously.

5. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Using two non-HD TVs wouldn't be a problem. There is the mentioned $7 fee if you don't subscribe to the HD Programming package ($10 for Essentials).

Digital locals and sub-channels could be an issue, independent of having an HDTV. To get all sub-channels, you would need to get them via an OTA antenna. HD Locals via sat would vary based on your market area (hard to identify), but USUALLY only has ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC, and a single channel for those. Paying for locals will get you Guide info for the OTA channels, and subchannels, but that also varies with market area.

6. wharfrat

wharfrat New Member

May 25, 2004
    Thanks for all your advice.