1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ViP722 - L6.76 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by phrelin, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2011 #1 of 43
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well apparently I got L6.76 last night on my 722. It appears this post was a waste of time:

I have no idea what could possible have been gained in making it impossible to eliminate the video window and thereby reducing the number of channels visible from 10 to 7.

Is there something sacred for someone over in Dish Engineering about spoiling my recording programs for me while I switch to something else on the second receiver? Or was it to prevent me from seeing what's playing on my favorite 10 local stations in one screen?

Whatever it was, I'm sure it was about me!:D

[​IMG]

2. Jun 8, 2011 #2 of 43
    V35_Pilot

V35_Pilot Cool Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Exactly. Turning on the receiver during a recording in progress and being forced to see it in all video windows all while scrambling to start the recording over again without seeing what is going on is my biggest complaint about this option being taken away.

It used to be that you could quickly pull up the guide and switch channels first, and then pull up the DVR menu (which also has the video in the upper right corner that cannot be disabled, MEH!) so as not to see what is happening at that moment during a recording in progress.

Definitely am very DISCOURAGED with this change.

3. Jun 8, 2011 #3 of 43
    Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz Mentor

Jan 22, 2003
    Perhaps so we would not miss the Commercials ...

4. Jun 8, 2011 #4 of 43
    3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    While I see everyone's point, and don't understand why DISH changed this, I would suggest just pressing PAUSE then do what you need to do, shouldn't have anything spoiled or anything especially if you just don't look at the video...

5. Jun 8, 2011 #5 of 43
    V35_Pilot

V35_Pilot Cool Member

Jun 7, 2011
    The last time a company tried to dumb down its software to meet the lowest common denominator (which appears to be the case for this particular change), the tech world lambasted Microsoft for releasing Windows ME. :)

6. Sunnyatthebeach

Sunnyatthebeach Cool Member

Feb 26, 2008
    When playing a recorded program and pushing the "back" button on the remote to back up 10 seconds, it sometimes backs up several minutes.

I also had this problem in L6.74, but not in L6.72.

7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    :yesman:

8. kinglerch

kinglerch Mentor

Aug 29, 2007
    i just don't understand why they would change the format of the guide after so many years, without even an option to choose the old way if you liked it better before. it's like saying "you'll enjoy this new way so much, we're not even giving you the option to go back"...

btw, i hate it. why not fill the screen with a stock ticker too. i wanna see what's on the guide, that's why i pushed the guide button.

9. Tulsa1

Tulsa1 Godfather

Oct 15, 2003
    It seems to me the video window would have more value if it showed what
    you have highlighted on the guide, like a preview.

10. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    That would require another tuner of some sort.

11. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    I was someplace where that is what it did, but I hated that actually. Because I want to browse and watch the show I am currently watching. Maybe you could give the option of which way it was to be done, but I am the kind who is always browsing and looking at other stuff and want my current show always to be playing in a window so I can do all that without missing something.

12. KevinRS

KevinRS AllStar

Oct 9, 2007
    The banner that can be turned off is apparently the advertisement at the bottom. I am not happy with there being no apparent way to hide HD channels, forced to see both, even on TV2 output where HD is impossible. I do see that KCAL 9 now has HD, which is added since I checked.
    I've also seen the back button error for months on my 722, and also seen it on my sister's 722k. Skip forward one too many times to skip commercials, press back, and sometimes even see commercials, but they are the previous set of commercials up to 10 minutes before what you were watching.

Just went to purchase history (there should be nothing) and it crashed the reciever, waiting on it to reboot now, hopefully.

didn't start up, just cut power off to it for a couple minutes then will try again.

Maybe it's going to work now

Working now, was considering if Dish wanted me to buy a new reciever I might just cancel and do without TV for a while, Only currently 2-3 shows recording on DVR per week I watch, and one has season finale monday.

13. Klatu

Klatu Cool Member

Jun 22, 2011
    New to posting on a forum....thought I would give it a try. I recently got the 6.76 update on my VIP722 receiver and noticed that it had the sound leveling audio output capability and it was defaulted to "on". I didn't see it anywhere on the discussions, so, maybe I missed it? Anyhow, thanks to all you guys over the years; it really helped me solve a bunch of problems easily and effectively.

14. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Noticed something new and I am not happy about it. When changing channels, instead of just getting the info bar at the top of the screen there is now a large banner lower on the screen telling me about dishonline, I checked and I am pretty sure I have all the popup/enhancements/banner crap disabled. Anybody know how to get rid of it. L6.76-722 here.

15. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I've tried all options and it's like the ads on a TiVo box - you can't shut off the stupid banner ad at the bottom. :-(

16. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Welcome! :welcome_s

17. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    That must be the popup that we saw added to a bunch of channels in this week's uplink activity. Does anyone not yet on L676 see the bottom banner when you change channels?

18. jrseh

jrseh Cool Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Not seeing such a banner here on my 722, and I do have the L676 software load.

John

19. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Try 360 and 364 for the dishonline banner.

20. Klatu

Klatu Cool Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I think it's just the Platinum channels that have that annoying banner at the bottom. It may be the beginning of that type of advertising for all channels in the future, or, is Dish just letting us know that we can see this stuff on our computers?

In any case, it seems as if it adds about 2-3 seconds to the channel shift in Platinum.