1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIP722 Loses Signal when stopping playback of recorded program

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Everlast, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Everlast

Everlast Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    It doesn't happen every time, but enough to notice. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

Here's the situation.

With the 722 engaged and recording two other HD programs, we're watching a program that was previously recorded.

After reaching the end of the recorded program and deleting (with the two other programs still being recorded), my screen has gone blank (totally black) with no sound -- eventually the "Lost Signal" error message is displayed.

I have not seen this occur when only one program is being recorded.

I think if I omit deleting the program, the problem doesn't occur.

Anybody else experience this?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Moving to the 722 discussion forum so you'll get more help...

I can't say as I've seen this myself. I have seen a brief pause and black screen sometimes when multi-tasking like you describe and deleting something... but I've never lost signal as a result.

How are your signal strengths? Could be if you have marginal signal it doesn't take much to task the receiver and lose the lock.

3. Everlast

Everlast Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for the reply Stewart. My signal strengths are good. Under normal circumstances, losing the signal is a very, very rare occurrence. I'm almost certain it has to do with the multi-tasking scenario. To the best of my recollection, this has been going on for several months. I'm only putting 2+2 together now since the Fall schedule kicked in and there is much more interesting programming on at the same time!

4. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Are you sure you are losing the satellite signal?
    Could you be losing the Video Signal instead?

Easy test, Look at the time when you get that message, then play one of the shows that was recording and see if there is a real signal loss.

I get a message like that once in a while from one of the devices in the chain between the 622 & the TV set.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Tboneit has a good point... are you sure it is the Dish receiver saying "lost signal" and not your HDTV indicating it has lost signal from the receiver?

I've been recording as many as 3 programs (1 OTA + 2 SAT) and watching a recording, and not had any signal loss issues... but I do see a temporary black screen sometimes when I delete something and it is processing that request.

6. Everlast

Everlast Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for the insights. I'll pay a little closer attention when this occurs again. It could very well be the case that my impatience is assuming a lost signal. So I reset the DVR and REALLY lose the signal! Appreciate the help.

7. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I get the same loss of signal (Sat to 722k) as you do sometimes when stopping playback. It's definitely a DVR message box, not my TV. This is on a 722k running L667 with marginal signals (50s and 60s). I also have an OTA module installed.

8. Everlast

Everlast Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Tried to reproduce the error yesterday - somewhat artificially. I started recording two new programs (by pressing the "record" button, rather than using timers which is my real-life case) and watching a recorded program as I normally would (skipping commercials) to the end. When the recording option buttons appeared on screen, I selected "delete". Alas, no problem. The image on screen went to one of the two programs being recorded and not to a black screen with no sound as reported.

I guess I'll have to keep vigilant during my next, real-life, scenario.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll update here when I get more info.