vip722k dvr external hard drive get recordings off to a pc

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ConnieNito, Jan 17, 2021.

1. ConnieNito

ConnieNito New Member

Jan 17, 2021
    i have a vip722k dvr with an external hard drive connected by usb. it works great. can watch saved content from the usb drive.

i want to copy the recordings off the usb hard drive onto my computer (pc). i am concerned that i may loose the content. dvr is starting to act up and the last time this happened the dvr would not recognize of play the external hard drive. the new dvr reformatted the usb drive and i lost all my old shows.

i once tried to plug usb into my computer and my computer reformatted the usb and i lost everything that time too.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You cannot play the content on any other device than a DISH device on your account. But if you do replace the receiver on your account the content should be able to be played on the new receiver.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    To elaborate what James said -
    You need to put your content that you want to keep on a USB harddrive. Then you need to replace the 722K with another DVR (probably a Hopper / Hopper Duo) without closing your account / opening a new account. After this you should be able to plug the USB harddrive into the new DVR and you should be able to play that content from the USB harddrive. You may also be able to copy it to the new DVR's harddrive.

OH - btw, the USB harddrive either needs to have its own power supply, or you should use a USB hub with it's own power supply to power your USB harddrive.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    The only way that is officially supported to take your content and store it on a PC's hard drive is to "play" it with a video capture card / USB device on your PC.