ViP722K runs the fan at full speed for no reason

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by chouseman, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2011 #1 of 61
    chouseman

chouseman AllStar

Feb 9, 2010
    I'm a new customer with a ViP722K in use for 4 months. Room is 68F, air vents are unblocked, and the surface below the receiver is cool.

Every now and then, more often lately, the fan will turn on at full (loud) speed and not stop until I hit the red reset button to reboot. Then it's quiet again until the next time (24-48 hours).

If there was a mechanical/environmental-related heat problem before the reset, then the fan should continue to run at high speed soon after the reset.

So that leaves either an overheating CPU due to a software problem, or a system that thinks it needs cooling when it doesn't.

While the fan is running, there's no other apparent symptoms. It doesn't matter whether something is recording or not. Doesn't seem to bother the quality of things that are recording.

Since I don't see other complaints similar to this one, what's the easiest path to a solution before the fan siezes and the box stops working? I have a feeling it may be hard to convince E* to swap out the receiver when there's no other symptoms.

2. Feb 6, 2011 #2 of 61
    clotter

clotter AllStar

Apr 12, 2008
    When I first got my Dish service hooked up last April, I got two 722k's. One of them had the fan running full speed right out of the box. The other was normal. I thought it would slow down to normal after a bit & let the installer leave. It never did & he came back & replaced it right away. Definitely contact Dish.

3. Feb 6, 2011 #3 of 61
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Short bursts of the fan running are sometimes a sign of frequent reboots. The only time the fans on my ViP622 and 508 are audible is during a (re)boot.

Extended episodes are not a good sign. If the hard drive or power supply are running exceptionally hot, there are going to be issues.

4. Feb 8, 2011 #4 of 61
    chouseman

chouseman AllStar

Feb 9, 2010
    I don't think anything is running exceptionally hot. The hard drive max temp is 138F, the average 132F. The metal case is quite cool when the fan is noisy. If the fan is running on purpose, then the temperature reading is wrong. Mostly it's a noise problem, and certainly not good for fan life.

Thanks for the comments. It went about 3 days this last time. I guess I'll see if it gets worse or better and call Dish when it's coming on more frequently.

5. Feb 8, 2011 #5 of 61
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    132 degrees seems like a high average temperature to me.

Not necessarily high for a peak... but for an average?

I just checked my 922... which is essentially the same as a 722K + some more stuff inside.

Low: 102
    High: 132
    Average: 110

I'm thinking your fan is running legitimately if your average temperature is 132 degrees.

So the only question left is... IF you're sure it is getting adequate ventilation room on both sides... then eventually whatever is overheating is probably going to fail.

6. Feb 9, 2011 #6 of 61
    chouseman

chouseman AllStar

Feb 9, 2010
    There's nothing on either side of the receiver at the moment.

Do we know how many fans are in there and what sensors exist to control the fan(s)? 'Cause i doubt that a fan is being controlled by the HDD's internal temperator sensor.

7. Feb 9, 2011 #7 of 61
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I hate to ask... but that implies that sometimes there might be something on either side? I forget the exact suggested amount of space... I know mine has a couple of inches on one side and about a foot on the other, plus basically my whole TV shelf is an open thing (no back wall, just shelves)... so I've never had to worry about airflow with mine.

I don't know how/where the sensors are... but even if the hard drive doesn't directly trigger a fan to come on... if it is reaching 132 degrees all the time, then it would be heating something else (or something else is heating the had drive) that could be tripping that fan sensor.

Without taking it apart, it would be tough to guess where the heat is being generated from... but it sure does sound like something isn't right.

8. Feb 9, 2011 #8 of 61
    wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    How much clearance do you have above the receiver? I originally had a similar problem. I had about 3 inches of clearance above, several on each side. What I found was that the fan/case geometry set up a very nice cyclic flow.. in one side, out the other, back over the top, back in. So, all it was doing was circulating hot air. I moved things around to get about 6 inches above, and everything's been fine since.

One other thing to consider is the quality of your power. As a previous poster commented, the fan behavior can also be a sign of frequent reboots. I keep mine on a UPS; it doesn't take much of a power glitch to trigger a reboot.

9. Feb 9, 2011 #9 of 61
    peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    Something on top of the receiver, or not enough clearance on top will really raise the internal temp.

Something underneath it that runs warm does the same thing.

138 is too hot.

10. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I agree that 138 is too hot.

My 722k/wMT2 numbers are:

HDD High Temp: 140
    HDD Low Temp: 104
    HDD Average Temp:120

Mine is sitting on top of my 50" RPTV out in the open and there are times I hear the fan kick in full speed,then turn off.We keep our home at 72 degrees,I use to be able to keep it lower but since I lost weight I'm freezing and that's even though I'm wearing my outdoor coat inside also.Think I lost all my body insulation.;)

Can't wait for springtime so I can turn on the AC.;):D

11. chouseman

chouseman AllStar

Feb 9, 2010
    There's nothing on any side or top. It sits on a tower speaker that makes no heat. There is baseboard heat about 4 feet below the receiver, but there's also 6" or more clearance from the back of the receiver to the wall with the baseboard.

OK, then I guess 140 is too hot as well, right?:)

I just checked the receiver case after an overnight of not being used, and it is lukewarm to the touch. That compares to being very cool after the fan had been running for 10+ minutes.

At least one of the problems here seems to be, why doesn't the fan turn off?

Will Dish Network know if I remove the cover to the case? Any interlock to rat me out if I open it up? I'd like to put my finger on a hard drive and see just how warm it might actually be. I'd also like to see exactly what the fan is cooling when it's on - whether it's a case fan or cpu fan.

12. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You missed an important part there... Your average is as high as many of us have as a peak (high).

It is normal for the temperature to spike high sometimes... which can trigger a temporary fan burst... but yours appears to be sustaining a high temperature even with the fan running full.

Think about that... Your fan is running full-out and still your average temperature is as high as our highest... that, to me, indicates that the fan is trying its best to do its job to cool down whatever is overheating. i.e. the fan running isn't a problem... it is a symptom of the problem AND probably the only reason why your receiver hasn't melted already.

If you own it, you can do whatever you want... but you shouldn't take apart a leased receiver because it isn't yours to take apart and Dish might very well take the stance that any damage was your fault for taking it apart.

Given the way you described your receiver (sounds like it is fairly out in the open for airflow)... I would be bucking hard for Dish to send a replacement to swap it out before it fails permanently.

13. chouseman

chouseman AllStar

Feb 9, 2010
    That has not been proven. There's no real-time temperature reading so I don't know what the HDD temps are after the fan has run for a while.

Does the 722k fan have a medium or low speed, or it just off & max speed? I never hear anything but silence or the full noise level. If there's a low/medium speed that isn't working, that would explain a lot. It would mean the fan doesn't come on until the temp is high enough to trigger max speed, and that would result in a higher than normal average. Once the fan does come on, I hit the reset button after 5-10 minutes and the fan stays off for another 1-3 days.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit... You posted your max and average hard drive temps...

In this case it doesn't matter what the drive temps are after the fan has run for a while... your average is your average... and it is almost the same as your max!

That means even when the fan is running full out, it isn't cooling the receive much below your max... OR it means your temperature is spiking REALLY high during that time to way offset normal temps...otherwise the average wouldn't be that high. Either way, something is raising the temp above normal.

Since you seem to have eliminated poor air circulation as a problem, the only thing left is a failing receiver that ultimately is going to burn itself out since you can't service it yourself... so it seems like you need to call Dish and get the thing swapped out for a different receiver.

Is there some reason you don't want to do that?

15. chouseman

chouseman AllStar

Feb 9, 2010
    No, it doesn't have to mean any of those things. Remember, my fan doesn't run full out for more than 0.2% of the time over the course of 2-3 days. The rest of the time, the temperature is free to creep upward until the fan finally comes on. Maybe the fan is coming on too late, or as I suggested before, not running on lower speeds when it should be.
    I'm expecting that process to be lengthy and ultimately unsuccessful (meaning, they won't be convinced to swap it out), and I have no time for it for the next several days. But maybe I'll try it next week.

16. chouseman

chouseman AllStar

Feb 9, 2010
    One other thing, if I am successful in getting them to swap it out, will I be able to save all my DVR content to an EHD, and then use that EHD with the replacement receiver?

17. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    If you can PM me the account # then I can look into replacing that for you. Overheating is never a good thing as Stewart has mentioned before, it will burn itself out eventually. If we replace it early then we can make sure your receiver works while you wait for the new one :)

You can back up the recordings onto a EHD. It will work with the replacement once it gets activated.

18. chouseman

chouseman AllStar

Feb 9, 2010
    Thanks Tommy, I guess if all I need to do is send you a PM, I can handle that right now!

19. kspeters

kspeters Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 12, 2003
    These things run hotter than a 622. I know because I took the stats from the diagnose screen and wrotethem down to compare. Anyway I put a Thermolake USB fan on the back left side sucking air out and now My High is like 98 degrees and the avg is 94 and the low is 84. I was experiencing slow menu screens and shortened recordings before I started to run the fan. It could be coincidence but there it is.

20. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    ....and then you go on to fight every helpful suggestion that is made.

Call Dish and explain your problem. If they don't help, to include replacing your receiver, come back her.

You are manufacturing a problem that may or may not exist. :lol: