ViP722K Starts some recordings late instead of early.

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by etzeppy, Jan 24, 2010.

1. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    I've been seeing this issue for a few months now. Often (but not always), a DVR event will start one minute late. I double checked my settings and my default setting is to start 1 min early. This is not due a schedule conflict. It will happen with the unit powered down and only one event scheduled.

If a program is set to start at say 12:30, the DVR will show that it actually started at 12:31 rather than 12:29. I do not see any other threads about this. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. bobl

bobl Legend

Jan 17, 2004
    I've had this recently but only with my daily recording of Supernatural on TNT HD. It's scheduled from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM PDT M-F. Three times it started one or two minutes late. I just changed it to start one minute early a few days ago. Since the change it hasn't started late yet. Will continue to monitor.

3. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    I setup two events just yesterday and confirmed the early start option of 1 minute. One started correctly and one started 1 minute late. It's been happening more often than not for me lately.

4. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Have you checked by a reliable clock if the program is actually starting one minute late? IOW, the program should start at 7:59 and actually starts at 8:01? Could it be the program actually started at 7:58 or something like that and it appears that the recording started late? Not doubting your word, just trying to make some sense of it. Some programs just don't start on the hour or half hour.

5. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    The DVR timestamp shows that the recording started at 8:01 instead of 7:59.

6. roller11

roller11 Cool Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I have the same prob with my 722K. 95% of the time, the timer starts on time. When it doesn't, it always starts two minutes late. It isn't a matter of incorrect clock setting. The timer is set to start at 9:30, but the graphic reports an actual start time of 9:32. The failure is totally random and unpredictable. As bad as this prob is, there's a work around, just set timer for 2 minutes early. A much bigger prob with the 722K is that the recording randomly terminates prematurely. For example, I set the Colts/Charger game to record for 4 hours. Upon playback the next day, I found that the recording started on time, but the recording stopped 17 minutes into the game. The graphic reported that the entire 4 hours recorded, but it did not. This happens on average once every 80 recordings or so.

7. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    Do you by chance have your machine set to start recordings 2 minutes early?

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. And I've been asking for an option to start recordings late. Of course, I wanted it user controlled not random.

9. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    I submitted a description of this issue to Dish support on 01/24/2010 via their web site. So far I have not received anything back or even a support case number.

10. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Support case number from Dish! Are you kidding? Have you ever seen a case number from them, or any tracking of problems?

11. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    One can always hope. :)

12. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame

Feb 22, 2005
    I will add that I occasionally see this issue as well. When you look at the schedule history the Timer start time is correct but the Recording Start time is 1 - 3 minutes later. It's like the receiver is bogged down when the timer executes and it takes another minute or 2 for the recording to kick in. I cant' seem to find a pattern to it and it usually affects 2 - 4 recordings a month.

Conan O'Brien's show was a common one to have this issue, but well, we know that's no longer an issue. =(

13. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    When it happened, my DVR always started 1 min late but my timer setting was always set for 1 min early. Last night I set a timer for 0 min early and it fired 2 min late. Based on my limited sample size, it would seem that when this happens, the timer fires 2 minutes later than expected.

I did hear back from Dish today. They asked me some questions and details on my unit (software rev, etc.). We'll see what happens.

14. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Please post.

15. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Yes, but only if they are replacing the DVR.

16. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    I just received this message Dish Tech Support.

Thank you for your email and for providing the information for our engineering department. They are currently working towards a resolution for this issue. Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time. Generally these issues are resolved via software information sent directly to the receiver.