VIP922 still viable?

Discussion in 'ViP922 DVR Support Forum' started by FBinColo, Mar 19, 2020.

1. FBinColo

FBinColo New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    This board's been quiet for a long time. I hope knowledgeable people are still watching it.

I got a call from Dish stating that they were making changes that might (will?) cause me to lose service "in the next seven to ten days" and that they wanted to send a tech around to make changes to our equipment. I haven't found anything online about impending changes, though. I'm worried that this may be something of a scam to try to get me under contract. I'm currently running a VIP922 that I own, like it just fine and don't want to be on contract.

So how about it? Anyone have any info on changes that would make my 922 stop working? Or not?

2. JamesRJr

JamesRJr New Member

Dec 23, 2020
    A few years ago that did that to me with one of our oldest DVR units, that one they really followed through on, they shut down remotely, I have not had them try to do anything with our VIP722 or VIP922 units yet. Sometimes when you get a call like that it is a scam to get your unit info, do not give any information in case it is a scam, then tell them you will call customer service later when you have some free time, follow up and see if it was a real call.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's the company motto last years - keep own customers in a dark

I would accept the offer, counting two big advantages: sending a tech (scammers never did that!) and they are proactively changing old equipment (it always been a case of not touching a contract, as it is not at your will or wasn't your fault);
    also, keep in mind, the company did a nasty trick with most expensive HD model 6000 "Havana" in a past when begin(!) planning switch to MPEG-4, they did cut HD functionality of the receiver in advance to force customers switch to 622 and lost they own money (that time IRDs never been on lease) ~$1000 !