1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vizio blu ray player

Discussion in 'Blu-Ray Hardware' started by pmtm2, Nov 16, 2009.

1. pmtm2

pmtm2 AllStar

Oct 13, 2008
    i seen the vizio blu ray player at wal mart for $148.00 does anyone know if this player is worth it. i have a 37in vizio tv which i love i think it has one of the best pics on market right know and i know that will make you sony and samsung fanboys cry but it is true. i was just seening if anyone has read any reviews on it or anyone has one and can tell me if it is worth it. someday when i am rich i will go buy a pioneer elite but until that day is the vizio worth it

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I've heard the $150 Insignia Blu Ray player (which also streams Netflix) is decent for the price.

It recently had a $50 instant rebate... wait a week or so and see what Black Friday week brings.

3. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    I bought one of these players (the VBR100) at Wal-mart not long back. After buying it and using it for a little while, I reviewed the unit. I found a few flaws and irritations with it (the remote control's effectiveness with the unit one of the biggest), and noted them as best I could in that review.

The price isn't bad, but at the same time if you can afford to spend a little more you would probably be happier in the long run.

Personally, I'm likely to sell off the one that I bought and buy another PS3 instead, though the PS3 is certainly more expensive and also uses the Bluetooth remote that doesn't control my TV at all. :mad: Other than that though, I really prefer the PS3, though I'd also put serious consideration into an LG BD390 (which seems to be a pretty good box based on reviews I read).

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  5. vbedford

vbedford AllStar

Jul 24, 2008
    Might as well get that instead..only prob is the blue tooth remote so you
    need two remotes.

6. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    My Wal-Mart has the Sony BD-S360 for $148, too. Makes me wonder how they sell the Vizios.

7. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
  8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Amazon has the same player for $129.71. Combine that with Super Saver Shipping, and you saved yourself $40.

9. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    That's one of the things I had noted on the review I did of the Vizio. If the pricing isn't a lot cheaper than competitors that machine really has nothing going for it, especially not when compared to other units that offer built-in WiFi and such.

Someone above notes the issue with using a Bluetooth remote control and that was one of the frustrations I had in using a PS3 but otherwise the PS3 is a great BD player and also offers so much more (though I don't game on it, as I prefer to game on Xbox 360 and Xbox Live). I had hoped that the Vizio would work well and I liked the idea that the remote control for the Vizio would control the volume on my TV giving me a more universal remote. Unfortunately the Vizio player is sluggish in responding to the remote control. Personal opinion, the IR sensor/receiver in the unit is too obscured by the face plate on the unit and it prevents the unit from getting the signal as well as it should. If not, then the unit has some programming that makes it ignore seemingly errant button presses that is just too agressive and makes it miss way too many presses, period.

In anycase, I don't want to duplicate here what I had said in that review, but would basically say look more at alternatives, especially if the price difference isn't that great.

10. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I have the Panasonic BD60. Got it from WallyWorld for $214 in Sept. 2 or 3 weeks later it was down to $179. Now it's $158 the last time I was in the store. Pricing aside, I am very happy with the Panny. One word of caution. It doesn't connect to Netflix so if you have a Netflix account and plan on using it, look for another player. The Panny connects to Amazon.com.

It took me a while to get used to the BluRay way of doing things though. Previews, slower load times, no bookmarking on most discs, etc. But well worth it.