1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOD Less Than Useless???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by frapnitz, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1 of 10
    frapnitz

frapnitz Cool Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I'm wondering if my VOD box might be bad. I have no problems with any wireless device in the house (DSL is approx 4-5 Meg down), however with each VOD Request I get a "problem with connection" do I want to continue or "test" the system. Testing the system really doesn't give you much information; and when I say continue, it can take "hours" to download a 30 min show.....in SD.....

As a recent VOD user, I'm not too terribly impressed.....does anyone else have the same issues or should I look to replace my box???

Maybe I am spoiled by how quickly my Kindle Fire downloads shows.

2. Jan 7, 2012 #2 of 10
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I have had to do a "restore network defaults" on my receiver and reboot my router when this happens. I'm not sure what the problem is but it has greatly improved my DL times.

3. Jan 7, 2012 #3 of 10
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not sure where the problem is, but you do have one.
    4-5 Mb/s DSL, should be giving you "just about" real time download/viewing of an SD show.

4. Jan 8, 2012 #4 of 10
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Mine takes forever as well. It also loses the connection. I just tell it to continue.

The most I have downloaded at one time was four one hour shows. I let it run over night. I have no idea how long it actually took, but it was less than 8-10 hours.

When it is actually downloading it seems pretty quick, but it looks like it pauses a lot. I don't run into that on other stuff, so it may have some kind of priority feature to cause it to wait when anything else is running.

5. Jan 8, 2012 #5 of 10
    frapnitz

frapnitz Cool Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Thanx for the input....always nice hearing from folks smarter than me.....Cheers.

6. Jan 8, 2012 #6 of 10
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Based on this and a couple of other recent threads on the topic, it is clear that the biggest factor in all of this is the users' internet connection. There are plenty of us that use VOD and never have any issues. I can download HD programming in 1:1 or faster speeds. SD is more like 2:1.

7. Jan 8, 2012 #7 of 10
    JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    I don't do VOD, but this problem is not limited to DirecTV's streaming video

As well as DirecTv, I have Netflix streaming video, over a 7 megabit connection (test says my actual download speed is about 6.6)

My Internet connection is always fast... even pages that have a lot of pictures (wife is a gardener and goes to lots of sites with high resolution pics)

When I am watching Netflix video, either SD or HD, all is **usually** good

Sometimes, the screen will go blank and a "loading" message will show

I have never been able to figure out if this is a problem with the Netflix servers being overloaded, or a general problem with Internet capacity, or a glitch with my individual ISP

Oh well... just one of the "features" of technology

8. Jan 8, 2012 #8 of 10
    h4b1t

h4b1t AllStar

Dec 29, 2005
    frapnitz: I just had to reset my network connection and walk through the setup again for this to work
    hilmar2k: I have 15 meg down speed and have never gotten 1:1 on HD. I have no problem with SD but with HD I have to wait at least 30 minutes before starting a 2 hour movie. I always attributed this to DirecTV's servers because with 15 meg down I wouldn't think I'd have a problem. What is your speed?

9. Jan 8, 2012 #9 of 10
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    My speed is advertised at 30 Mb/s. However, even when I was at 12 Mb/s so could generally start the recording within a minute or two.

I have a feeling that some if this has to do with the source. I seem to have a little better performance when downloading content from Starz as opposed to HBO.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As has been pointed out, it also depends on your ISP, some heavily throttle certains types of data, making someone that has 30Mb/s down with throttling at times no better than some with 6Mb/s without throttling.