VOD TV episode with 44 minutes of commercial time

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by the2130, Jan 13, 2020.

1. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I downloaded an episode of "Magnum PI" on my HR44. When I tried to view it on my HR24, the episode had a red symbol on the playlist indicating it couldn't be viewed on that DVR. So I downloaded it on the HR24 and tried watching it there. The DVR playlist showed the program to be 44 minutes long, which is the approximate length of the episode without commercials. However, when I played the episode it ran an hour and 27 minutes, with unskippable commercial breaks as long as 11 minutes each. Anyone know why the episode wouldn't be playable on both DVRs, why the playlist wouldn't show the length of the program with commercials included, or why there would be that much commercial time in an hour-long TV show?

2. mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    I've noticed that it seems to be doing weird things with VOD commercials lately. They seem to stream and I'm guessing are inserted by the DVR itself and not part of the download. I watched something a few days ago and literally saw the same ad at least 7 times.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That said, DIRECTV should change VOD to COD (Commercials on Demand).

armchair likes this.
  4. MrWindows

MrWindows New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Phoenix,...
    I had the exact same issue happen to me about a month back while attempting to watch an on-demand episode of 'God Friended Me', IIRC. CBS shows appear to have issues. The commercial breaks looped again and again. I gave up, downloaded it again, and the same thing happened. I called DirecTV but of course they were of no use.

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I've completely given up in using VOD unless it's an emergency. They've gone from no commercials in their original incarnation to MORE commercials than watching live. It just feels like another AT&T money grab to me.

Rich likes this.
  6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I don't know how VOD is a Money grab for D*TV -as they Do NOT own any of the Channels VOD Servers or control their content. SO can you Please explain how D* get's revenue from that?

compnurd likes this.
  7. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    It's unbelievable that they would expect anyone to sit through 43 minutes of ads to watch a 44-minute episode. All they are doing with that kind of nonsense is encouraging people to capture the episodes and strip out the ads.

8. scottt

scottt New Member

May 7, 2019
    Yes, I have seen the same ad over and over and over (in a row). I agree with Steveknj, VOD is just for emergencies.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I thought they insert their own ads, no? And I'm sure they get a piece of each if not.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    That's only when you Pause your DVR -is when that occur's --A poster above Called D* about a CBS VOD problem --and D* gave him no help --Because CBS controls the CBS Server and content --He needed to call CBS and complain.

compnurd likes this.
  11. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I went through this exact experience once, with a CBS episode.

As soon as I found out the first break was something like 8 minutes, I turned on the capture box.

The only other major problem I've had with VOD is that some channels won't even play content, I guess because there are ad servers getting blocked by my home network. (I wouldn't even begin to know how to fix this.)

The "Lookback" versions of VOD (usually available for a few days to a week) don't seem to have this problem, and are also viewable across whole-home.

I've occasionally lucked out with those lookback versions and was able to skip commercials! I can only guess that perhaps a premium channel lookback was temporarily assigned to a standard cable channel in those instances.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sounds like you don't stream? These problems don't happen when you stream.

Rich

13. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I have a suspicion CBS does this intentionally to try to drive users to their commercial free CBS All Access streaming option.

compnurd likes this.
  14. LTYRS

LTYRS Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Do you guys get VOD in 1080p? when I watch live or record it it's always 1080i according to the HR54 info.

15. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    The problem with that theory is that the episodes I was trying to watch were from Season 1 of Magnum, which for some reason isn't available on CBS All Access, to which I subscribe. That's why I was trying to get the episodes from DirecTV's on-demand. It seems odd that CBS wouldn't have streaming rights for previous seasons of a show that only went on the air in 2018.

16. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    ABC Networks VOD are mostly in 1080p.

17. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    That is odd as all seasons of H-50 are on there and I think it is the same production company.

18. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Magnum P.I. is Universal while H-50 is CBS.

19. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yep, stream plenty.

But there's no way I'm ever gonna give an extra dime to Cee B.S. (They already get enough from us through our local subscription.)

However (while on the topic of "all access") I have to ask, can you get ad-free local programming? The primary CBS viewer in our household is probably at 50% or more local and syndicated material from our affiliate. Are these available w/o ads??

(Myself I'm probably at a few episodes a year of CBS network viewing on anything - if at all - and occasional local news.)

20. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    That explains that. Thanks.