VOD was fine, now SSLLOOOWWW!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by wdhendrick, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Okay, I've been hooked up to VOD service for a few months. and until recently has been great. I've easily been able to download shows in 'real time', meaning I could begin playing immediately after starting the download. However, recently it took a few hours to download a 30 minute show! I did a speedtest on my wireless laptop, and it's connected at the same speed it always is. I also did a speedtest on my wired PC and it's also connected the same as always - consistently at 5,150... I didn't think to hook up the laptop directly to the line running to the DVR, but will do that tonight and run a speedtest to make sure it isn't something with that particular line....

I rebooted the Directv receiver but that hasn't helped. Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. EB (no, not Easter Bunny!) if you are reading this, I'm right near you... New Lenox. I'm curios if you are having any speed issues on your DoD downloads...

Below is my setup.

6 meg DSL (ALWAYS consistently connected at 5.1 meg)
    D-Link DIR-655
    WIRED connection direct to the receiver
    Receiver is the HR20-700

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I am on COMCAST here for my broadband....
    And I downloaded a program over the weekend, with no noticeable delays.

Are you on AT&T DSL?

What program where you attempting to download.

3. wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Yes, it's AT&T's Elite DSL service, which is advertised at 6 meg. The actual is always a very, very consistent 5,150 down on speedtest.net... The shows were 2 different 30 minute Blues Clues cartoons for my daughter off Nick that I set up to download before we ran an errand and took about 4 hours to download the 2. The other show was a hour long history show on ID (I think?) that also took at least a couple hours... forgot to check when it finally finished, but I know I checked about 2 hours in and it was still going. In the past though, I've always been able to que a show, and by the time it would show up in the list (maybe a few % pts in to the download) I was able to play it without hesitation. That last time this worked well was probably 2 to 3 weeks ago...

4. wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Okay, I unhooked the CAT5 to the DVR last night and hooked up my laptop, got 5.1m speeds through speedtest.net, so I don't think it's my line or the anything else in my network... could it be the DVR itself? Possibly the NIC in it is going bad?

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I did try a DoD last night, and it worked fine.

I would be intrested to see if anyone else in the area, that has Elite AT&T... is seeing a slowdown.

6. wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    I've read on Directv's forums that there has been quite a number of complaints similar to this, and a lot of them seem to be with DSL providers.... As stated though, my connection on 2 pcs and a laptop is fine, and if I hook up the laptop to the same CAT5 the DVR is using it connects and downloads fine. I do have another HR20-700 in another room that IS NOT connected to the network, and never was. I'm going to try taking that one from that location and hooking it up in place of the current one, using the same CAT5, etc., and see if connects ok and downloads as it should. If it does, then we know it's not something with my network - that it would be something with the Directv equipment - either the NIC is going out or ????

7. wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Okay, I have another HR20-700 in another room that has never been connected to my network. I moved that one to the Family Room, where my first receiver was connected okay a few weeks ago, but now was incredibly slow (18 hours to download 49% of a 30 minute SD show). I hooked up the other DVR to the same Cat5 cable and everything to ensure we could rule out my network and sure enough, this one connects absultely fine... I downloaded that same 30 minute show in about 10 minutes. I downloaded another hour show in about 30 minutes or so... I even download an HD program that was 24 minutes in about 50 mintues, so about 1:2 for HD. All of the SD stuff was more than 'real time' though... just prior to this I had tried the original receiver once more and the internet would show was connected, then wasn't, and the download wouldn't move. I stopped the download and tried another, and still no good.

To me, this means it must be the receiver to some extent. I would say it's probably the NIC, but I've read on some other threads that others have experienced this problem where they'll connect fine, and then don't, and that Directv is aware that there is a software or driver problem with the NICs... does anyone else know anything about this? I have the service plan, should I just call Directv and have them send out a new receiver? I guess I'm leary I won't get an HR20-700 though...

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I would just wait to see if the next software release does anything to help it.

If the NIC was going bad... you would have almost NO communication on it... not just slow communication.

As for "DirecTV knows about it"... that is the typical line that the CSR tier gives people. If there was a larger problem... you would see a thread about it here.

You almost certainly wouldn't get an HR20-700 as a replacement unit. Why are you dead-set on having a HR20-700 vs one of the other ones?

9. wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    I guess mostly because 1) it has the built in OTA tuner. I rarely use it, but I have and like to have the feature and 2) I KNOW this model gets to use the latest features first and like to be able to try these out. Some of the other ones don't get some of the newer features until they've worked out all the bugs on their first initial release on the HR20-700s.... Right? If I'm mistaken, then I could just get a replacement receiver - actually would be nice to get whichever one is the black one so it matches the dvd player, plasma, etc.... Any idea when the next software release is coming out?

10. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    It is very possible that QOS has made the scenes in your area and it is mainly for VOIP. This can throttle, load balance, and queue certain types of network traffic. Sometimes depending on how this has been implemented, turning encryption on in the dsl modem, can increase the through put speeds. Yes, I said increase. That is part of the VOIP scenario so that eavesdropping is not made easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.