1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

volume control on HR21-700 remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by McSwine, May 19, 2009.

1. McSwine

McSwine Cool Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Can anyone tell me if the volume control on the remote for a HR21-700 can be programmed to control the volume on my receiver WITHOUT first changing the input at the top of the remote? I have been led to believe this is possible based on responses to a thread at the AVS forums.

I'm getting a new LCD television, and apparently the newer sets to not have a variable audio out like my current set. I'm trying to make things as painless as possible for my wife so she won't squeal too much about me buying a new set.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes, I have my remote programed for my Sony and without changing the slider, the vol controls the TV. I also used the added code for it to change my TV input too.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Yup, follow the on-screen instructions, for volume punch thru, it something like code 996 after your tv has been programmed in.

4. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    You want the volume to control a AV receiver instead of the tv no matter what device you're in, right? Yes.

The volume keys won't work at all without a tv code programmed to the tv device, once done the tv volume is now in the way, to remedy that:

1. av1 or av2, whichever has the AV receiver code
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press SELECT

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    This is from the RC64 manual...

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Remote_Controls/DIRECTVRC64forWeb.pdf

Mike

6. McSwine

McSwine Cool Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Thank you all very much for your help. I am always stunned by the speed and helpfulness people here have for answering my usually idiotic questions.

This will greatly help my situation. I currently have my satellite box and DVD player (audio and video) plugged into my old CRT television and an audio out going to my receiver (the volume on my receiver does not change). It sounds like I need to run the video of both to my new television and the audio of both to my receiver. Would you all agree with this assessment?

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I use the HDMI to my TV and the optical out to my receiver. When I want surround sound, I turn on the receiver and turn the TV sound down.

8. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    That's what I do too. Ditto for the Xbox and the DVD player... I can listen to any one through the TV, but when I want DD or DTS the TV volume goes down and the receiver gets turned on.