Volume issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Nov 16, 2015.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I tune to one of the Sonic music channels for background music, usually channel 856 (New Age). So when I am finished watching a broadcast TV show and I hit exit, it takes me to the music playing on channel 856.

Here is my issue: I adjust my AVR's volume control for comfortable viewing of the TV show, but when I exit to the music channel, it's volume is significantly louder. Using a SPL meter, the TV show will play at approximately 70dB, but when I exit to the music channel, the volume will be close to 85dB. A 15dB difference is pretty significant.

I have been trying to understand this behavior to see if I can fix it. The TV show is playing in Dolby Digital, and it has a "Dialnorm" offset of say -3dB. The music channel is 2.0 stereo, with no offset. So I fully expect a 3dB volume difference, but not a 15dB difference.

Is the volume difference a DirectTV issue, or is it some anomaly in my AVR? Anyone else notice this issue, or is it just me?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Music channels tend to be louder since they are in PCM as compared to DD5.1 of most TV stations.

3. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I always remember music channels being slightly louder, but 15dB louder? This behavior seems to be different recently.

4. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    Sonic Tap seem to enjoy forking around with levels.

Not all the time or on all the channels, but I have one "go rogue" like yours for a couple days at a time, then go back to virtually the same level as non-music channels.

Posterier pain it is.

5. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Strange as it may seem, the volume level on the Sonic music channels seems to have returned to reasonable levels. I don't know if it is related, but all three of my HR24-500's rebooted in the middle of the night several days ago. There is no indication of a software update. Regardless, we can mark this issue as closed for now.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    I notice that sd channels are louder than the hd channels.