1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume Levels on HD Channels

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by David_NC, Mar 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. David_NC

David_NC Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    I had two 722k's installed yesterday. I'm really enjoying the picture so far. I just replaced an old non-HD RPTV with an HD front projector. It looks better than I thought TV could. In the den (with the projector), I have the 722 connected to my receiver. During commercial breaks on HD channels, especially those for other Dish shows, the volume in the rear surround channels is unbearably loud. I have to mute the volume. It's easily twice as loud as the during the show I'm watching. This does not happen on the LCD TV in the bedroom (connected to its own 722); it does not have any surround receiver or speakers.

Are others experiencing this problem? I don't think there are any settings I can change on my receiver (VSX-23TXH) that will prevent this other than turning off surround.

2. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Reduced volume on HD channels has been an ongoing problem. It's especially annoying on network programming where they still boost the sound on commercials anyway. DISH has talked about a new software upgrade coming soon that will allow you to select a stable audio level for all programming. Might solve your problem.

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    This horse has been beaten to death.

It is the natural median volume of DD 5.1 VS TV Stereo. Since DD 5.1 has such a wider dynamic range it also has a lower median volume to allow for the much louder possible volumes obtainable.

Dish is purportedly working with a company that has a software solution (supposed to be out last December) but we haven't seen it.

4. JR_Baas

JR_Baas AllStar

May 5, 2005
    If dish just a DD encoder to insert their commercials, it would fix the problem.

5. ENDContra

ENDContra Cool Member

Dec 8, 2006
    ^Or maybe they could just stop inserting their crappy commercials for sugardaddy.com and the chic that just wants to see her "personal doctor" once a year. These commercials come on so much I have them practically memorized.

"Stop using dirty catheters!"

6. David_NC

David_NC Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    Perhaps, but this is my first experience with Dish HD, which is why I asked.

I don't believe for a minute that it's totally 'unintentional' due to the nature of 5.1. I'm talking about levels in the rear channels being cranked up. The particularly annoying part is that it's DISH advertisements that are the worse offenders.

I also don't notice it being nearly as bad on a friend's Charter HD (through 5.1 receiver). The fact that it doesn't always occur leads me to believe that Dish can exert some control over this. I guess one temporary 'solution' would be to use Pro-LogicII decoding.

7. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Yes, it is on purpose, at least some of it. :mad:

Isn't there a bill in Congress about this? :confused:

8. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    Look how professional your actual answer looks but the intro. really stunk.

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    There is a bill. But Congress is off for 2 weeks.

10. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Is this the Gov'ts job?

11. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    A little off subject but HD radio has the same problem.

12. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    I am well aware of the general issue and excuse about DD5.1 vs stereo. However, as the OP noted, the Dish commercials/promos are currently the worst offenders. It's a crazy difference in volume and not the normal shift that I am used to.

13. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I agree, the Dish commercials are the very, very worst. Makes no sense to me that they are doing this.:(

14. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I have been on the edge of leaving Dish because of this problem. There is absolutely NO excuse for this. It has been reported to them MANY times, including a few times by me. The amazing thing is that in the last week or so things have gotten MUCH better. No longer do I have to jump for the mute or pause button when a Dish inserted ad comes on. It's been a real relief for me since I really didn't want to leave them, having been with them from the first week of broadcasting. The problem is that they have been at this same point a couple of times in the past and always returned to the crap.