Voom channels down?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by dbconsultant, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Since yesterday, all voom channels appear to be down. When tuning to any voom channel, it tries to find the satellite and comes back with "satellite signal has been lost" for satellite 129 transponder 23. Only seems to be happening to voom channels.

Anyone have info?

2. ASN21

ASN21 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 17, 2007
    They all work fine for me.

3. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try a re-boot and see if anything changes.

4. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Re-booted and no change - guess I'll call dish.

5. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    I'm good here.

6. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Well, I just got off the phone with Dish. The level 1 guy tried to tell me that the Voom channels are 'obsolete' and are being 'phased out' and that this has been happening since August 2007. I told him that, if that were so, why were other people still receiving the channels and why are they still on the guide. He didn't know so I had him move me up to a level 2 CSR.

Level 2 CSR had me look at another channel on Satellite 129 (9425 ESPN2) which comes in fine so, since it only seems to be the Voom channels which all come from transponder 23, he thinks it's my equipment and wants to send someone out at $49.99 (or $29.99 if I sign up for DPHP at $5.99/month).

Since this same thing happened about a month ago and then the Voom channels came back on-line after a few hours, I'm hesitant to spend the money having someone come out. I guess I'll wait at this point to see if they come back. I have a hard time believing that something 'just happened' that is making me lose reception to one transponder. He asked if I had noticed any reception problems on these stations and we haven't. My husband has the monsterHD channel on all the time as background with no problem. Since the download of 4.48, I've seen problems on other channels but not on any of the Vooms.

7. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    So I found the channel chart and tried some of the other voom channels. It appears that the ones on transponder 11 and 23 are out but ones on transponder 22 (Ultra, Gallery) are fine. I also am not getting trasponders 27 (History 9491) and 19 (Science 9490).

Possibly coincidentally but possibly not, the voom channels on transponders 11 and 23 are also the ones that had their programming mixed up over the weekend. Guess I'll wait this one out and hope that the problem is with voom and not my equipment. I'll update this if the channels come back or if I give up and let them send a tech out.

ASN21 and Bartendress, could you confirm for me that you are seeing MonstersHD (9481) and World Cinema (9475) as well as the HistoryHD and ScienceHD channels? If you are both getting these channels, then maybe it is my equipment. Thanks!

8. Deke Rivers

Deke Rivers Legend

Jan 8, 2007
    thats a dumb **** statement even for a level 1 CSR..

9. aloishus27

aloishus27 Legend

Aug 8, 2006
    Depending on the continent his call was routed to, I wouldn't be too surprised.

10. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Run a check switch to see if you have any LNB drift

11. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    DISH has GOT to do something about its off shore call centers. Given their high churn numbers last quarter I would think that someone should be able to figure out that the main problem is in the customer call center service area.

12. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    That's what I thought, too, but he was actually an American CSR. He and everyone in the background had southern accents so I think I actually got Kentucky!

13. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Any chance you could repoint the dish yourself? Maybe it's off just a smooch.

14. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Ran check switch (both when I was on with the CSR and again now) - didn't see any mention of lnb drift. Under sat 129 it shows a red box with a white 'x' and status says "reception error". The CSR told me that that is what is shown when not all transponders are being received but couldn't tell me why this would happen all of a sudden. It started yesterday. Nothing has changed or happened - no earthquakes, we were all dried out and sunny, nothing has moved.

15. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    I hesitate to do this - wouldn't even know where to start. Don't know what would have made it move. It's been in the same place for over 2 years with no movement problems through big winds and all.

16. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Don't think it was offshore. The guy and everyone behind him spoke with southern accents. I think I was talking to the ones in Kentucky.

17. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Get them to send someone out, but request the charge for the service call be waived. I had no problem doing this.

I've had really low signal on 129 since initial installation (I don't think the dish was pointed correctly), and since the CA storms I have no 129 at all. They're sending someone out to repoint/replace the dish and/or lnb, waiving the fee, and credited me $20 back for not being able to watch HD for a week. :)

18. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Thanks, Taco Lover, how did you get them to waive the fee? The csr I spoke to would only go as far as signing me up for dish home protection at $5.99 and then would lower the fee to $29.99. I declined at this point because I'm not convinced that it's the equipment. I didn't start having problems until last night and we're all dried up and winds have been over for a week for us down here! My other hesitation is that it happened once before with the Voom channels and came back on its own.

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Maybe the lemur scared them away? ;)

But seriously...

Do you have another receiver or is this your only one? It could be a dish alignment thing... or it could be a switch thing. If it is a switch thing, it is possible that swapping the receiver to another location might tell you something.

Another thought, it might be worth trying turning off your receiver... unplugging it from power... and also disconnecting the satellite cable from the receiver. Also, if you have a power inserter, unplug that as well. Wait at least a minute... then plug your receiver back in (don't plug in the satellite) and run a checkswitch. That should fail horribly of course... but then turn the receiver back off and re-connect the satellite cable (also plug in the power inserter if you unplugged one)... and then run a checkswitch again.

If you have a switch failure, this won't do any good of course :) But if it is just "stuck" this kind of thing might reset it since it draws power from your receiver and/or power inserter (depending upon configuration).

20. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    I asked. :)

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.