1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voom, VoIP, and phone lines

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by wjarrettc, Nov 28, 2004.

1. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Cool Member

May 20, 2004
    I'm thinking about going Vooming (irregardless of all the gloom and doom I read on the boards) and I was surprised that I didn't find a definitive answer to this here.

1) Does the Voom receiver's modem work with VoIP phone systems.
    2) What is the phone line used for?

I have TimeWarner VoIP phone and it works great with my TiVo Series 1 but my TiVo Series 2 never can connect. My DISH 811 seems to work okay with the VoIP but then again, the phone line only seems to be for PPV purchases which I never use.

If Voom's phone line is only for PPV and software downloads come via the dish, then I should be okay, yes? Anybody with definitive experience with Voom and VoIP?

Thanks in advance.

Jarrett

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    This is my experience...

First, my "home" phone is my cellphone. I haven't had a landline for over four years. When the Voom installer came, he did not ask about a phone line, nor did I mention that I didn't have one. During the install, the installer's phone call to Voom to enable the receiver was made on my cell, and the requisite downloads and updates came over about a week's time via the downlink stream. In use, the Voom receiver has not shown any indication that it needs a phone connection, other than a rather ominous on-screen reminder somewhere in the menu.

Also, I have had DishNetwork for 4 1/2 years, and haven't had a phone line connected for the past 4 years

Based only on my experience, unless you plan to do PPV, a phone line of any type should be of no consequence.

Good luck, and please report back about your installation experience.

3. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Cool Member

May 20, 2004
    Thanks Nick. This is exactly what I expected. I'd be happy to hear other folks' experience too but it sounds like I should be safe.

Just scheduled my install online for the afternoon of 12/7. I'm really looking forward to WorldSportHD since I'm giving up GolTV on DISH to get this.

4. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    nope you dont need a phone line for voom. as installers voom says we are to ask about it and make sure it is connected but the only reason they want that is because in the installer menu on hte voom receiver thier is a place to activate the receiver by typing in all the info rather then making a phone call. but no installs i have done have actully had a phone line with voom and voom has never said one thing to me about it. i have like 7 voom boxes here in my house besides my own that they have yet to ask for back even though i disconected them.(not because they are bad really but thier price is to high for me for the channels i get) but believe me if they get 70 hd channels i will be calling them back and getting paid to do my own install haha now that is great. alot of people have disconected and that is why so many voom boxes but i play with them and test them to see if thier was a problem with the box that made the customer disconect and to report back to voom what they need to improve on. good luck with voom and if your installer does a good job or even if he does a bad job let me know and if he does a bad job give me his name and i will talk to installs about it. (the company who does voom installs) we are the exclusive installer for voom and alot of us are really tired of hlaf done installs and we are trying to get things done right by makeing sure people who dont do it right get noticed and then get it done right or dont do any installs for voom.