1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiting to switch to Directv - MRV when? TIVO?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tabcourt, Apr 26, 2010.

1. tabcourt

tabcourt Mentor

Jun 6, 2009
    Keep getting mail offering the world to come back to Directv. But am waiting for MRV to be available in New York State so that I can cover multiple rooms with 1 HD DVR. What's the best guess on when I could pull the trigger? Also, when is the TIVO HD DVR expected to be available?
    -Mark

2. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    It looks like the Tivo has been pushed to Q3-Q4 of this year but MRV should be sooner. It sound like May-June time frame for MRV but for TIVO who knows. I would wait until you have both available but it might be a wait.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    MRV is available in beta format right now with DirecTV. Although, you wouldn't be able to have a DECA setup, you could still network your receivers either hardwired or wirelessly right now. When MRV officially goes national in May, you could then request to have your setup upgraded to DECA.

- Merg

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    What you may really want to wait for is an HR24. DECA is not as much a step up as the HR24 would be from what is available today.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That might be true, but in order to guarantee getting an HR24, the OP will have to wait until the HR24 is available at retail stores which will probably not happen for a good more few months at the soonest.

- Merg

6. tabcourt

tabcourt Mentor

Jun 6, 2009
    Thanks for all the info so far, but a little remedial help is in order for me if you please. What is DECA and what features make the HR24 so sought-after?

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The HR24 is faster. It does have one new feature... it will program the remote for you. But really the speed is the big draw.

DECA is a technology where you can send information between receivers that would have normally required an ethernet cable. The information travels over the regular satellite cable and it makes for a more stable experience using multi-room viewing.

8. dvrblogger

dvrblogger Icon

Jan 11, 2005
    DECA is Digital Ethernet Coax Adapter and turns the cable DIRECTV connects to your box into a ethernet/networking cable. IF you have an HR24 and /or H24 boxes they will be networked automatically if connected to the newer SWM satellite dishes. Finally if you connect a DECA to your internet router all your boxes will also be internet connected and able to download shows, callback etc but even without DECA in this format you r boxes would be MRV capable and have a better network than most setups.

9. tabcourt

tabcourt Mentor

Jun 6, 2009
    Okay, so what I'm getting from this is that I should wait for the HR24 which may be a few months away still. So I'll have to calm down and be patient.By the time HR24 is available, MRV should be out of beta. So to cover my 4 TVs with the least outlay, I only need one HR24 and how then to cover the other 3 TVs? Each will need a non-DVR HD box?

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    yes that's the basic setup.
    1 DVR acting as a server and non DVR receivers acting as clients.
    You will be able to only stream one recording to one client, with one DVR at a time.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You might be best set up with 2 DVR's and 2 non-DVR's. That will allow each of the non-DVR's to stream recordings and will also allow you to have 100 Series Lists setup as there is currently a limitation of only 50 right now which a lot of people find inadequate.

- Merg

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Try giving DIRECTV a call around May 15 .. Ask about multiroom viewing package and whether or not you will be able to get the new '24' series of receivers. In any event, the key to your order will be getting MRV as part of the installation.

Just for cost considerations .. here are some of the monthly fees:

Package cost - $varies
    HD Access fee - $10
    DVR fee - $7
    MRV fee - $3

plus $5 per additional dvr/receiver
    plus taxes

The three fees above are per account, not per receiver.

13. tabcourt

tabcourt Mentor

Jun 6, 2009
    Sorry, but this latest post introduced another term of which I'm not familiar: "100 Series list". What does this mean? Either way, it'll be difficult to wait till 5/15, I'm usually an instant-gratification guy.

14. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    DirecTVs DVRs have a limit of 50 series links maximum (or 50 season passes). If you need to record more than 50 shows you have to use manual recordings, autosearch recordings, or delete series links while the show is off the air and add them back again before the new season starts up.

By getting another DVR you add another 50 series links that can be set up on that DVR instead, so you no longer have to rely on manual/autorecordings or deleting series links while the show is on a break.

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The HR2x has a limit of 50 series links, ie: the number of shows you can setup to record automatically.
    By using two DVRs, each can record 50, so total would be 100.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Each HR has a limit of 50 Series Links. In other words you can only program each HR to record automatically 50 separate programs.

If you're all about "instant gratification", do what I did, run Ethernet wires to each HR and you'll end up with the same thing that you want, now. I've got eight HRs on my MRV hookup and it works perfectly. Takes a bit of money, but instant gratification is always more expensive and if you do it, you won't have to change anything down the line. I think.

I'm quite satisfied with my setup now. Eight HRs hooked up to four Panny plasmas. Makes "housekeeping" much easier. Didn't see any reason for it when it came out, but I do now and I really like it.

Rich

17. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    Questions for OP: Why do you only want 1 HD DVR?

I am in a pilot market and have official installation of DECA with 2 old HR20's. The way DirecTV implemented the MRV, you can choose to make every recorded visible in every machine, as if they are all from the same place. More HD DVR's = more tuners to record simultaneously. (1 DVR = 2 tuners) And potentially more storage space, too. DirecTV only charge one DVR fee ($7) per account. I will go for all DVR's myself, if the initial cost is acceptable to you.

As for DVR's, I am perfectly fine with my two old HR20's. No problems at all with my MRV experience. I know many want the newer HR24's. Just want to point out that HR24 is not a requirement for MRV. You can decide if you'd rather wait or not.

18. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    yes, go half and half so if you want 6 rcvrs, get 3 HD DVRs and 3 HD that way you have more tuners to record on, and more ability for MRV

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was wondering the same thing. Who would get a receiver when they could get a DVR? If it's a money thing, I apologize for asking.

As for the 20s, all the HRs I have hooked up to MRV are 20-700s and I got chapter and verse from a kind soul who explained to me what the differences in speed between the 20-700 and the 24 were and I don't think it's enough to make me get a 24. Not that my heart is not filled with lust for one, but it's just not enough to justify getting one, at least for me. And that would mean another eSATA of some sort and I'm trying to do away with them. By the way, the 20s are not really "old" unless you consider three years as "old". :)

Rich

20. tabcourt

tabcourt Mentor

Jun 6, 2009
    Okay, so what kind of money are we talking about, exactly? If you guys know, it would save me the trouble of making a call. The mailed offers I've been getting are for 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver for free. What would the others cost? They say the installation would be free and that they'd cover most of my early termination fee from DISH.