1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Mounted Electronic Wire Eyesore

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Drucifer, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Was watching DIY I Want That and saw this --

The above is only one version. They have several.

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for posting. Looks like an easy install.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, they're pretty cool. I put one (similar one, anyway) in for a buddy of mine about 7 years ago. Piece of cake.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    [​IMG]

It been pointed out that most areas now require the above for the electrical power wiring.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I installed one that I bought from Monoprice. Definitely looks nice.

- Merg

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Cable hiding systems, both in and on wall are plentiful. I've seen several different styles in stores.

Plastic boxes, conduit, fittings and raceways are here to stay.

7. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    With a small amount of preplanning and a wall fish anybody can have the clean look.

I don't really see a problem using the factory power cable as long as you replace it when you replace the HD TV.

8. Dec 2, 2012 #8 of 15
    brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Chicago and NY are the ONLY places in the country i know of that require steel boxes and conduit/mc.

These are not requirements of the national electrical code. I'm an electrical contractor.

9. Dec 2, 2012 #9 of 15
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I don 't know why companies have to make this stuff so complicated (other than to sell stuff and make money).

All you really need is the holes in the wall unless you have reason to be expecting an inspection. Boxes, either metal or PVC are a buck or so each and the 6' of flex conduit is about the same. Add a couple of faceplates and you can do the whole thing for around $10 or less.

10. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
  11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The only thing I don't like about it is that the conduits for both parts open downwards. That means that a cable coming from up high needs to go down and then back up into the conduit. Not the easiest thing to do when fishing additional lines in the wall after it is already installed.

- Merg

12. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Agreed and the main complaint of the reviews I saw. Some people turned one upside down, but then you have the cables crossing one another in the wall.

13. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Some people are deathly afraid of anything related to electricity.

I actually like this kit; looks simple enough that really anyone could do it.

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    What I mentioned doesn't involve electricity any more than the kit. Cut the holes, drop the cords through and plug them in. Same as the kit, but without the fancy-dancy or the price.

The boxes and flex conduit I mentioned would only be for slight dress-up if you wanted it.

Where I am, there are no electrical inspections. I'm not aware of anywhere in the country where they do random inspections either, so unless you call them, you shouldn't have to worry about one.

I'm not sure this type of job would require an inspection anyways, since you're really not doing anything with an electrical circuit. This is really nothing more than running an extension cord.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I believe that part of the issue is that you are not supposed to just pass through a power cable behind a wall. Most code states that you need to use Romex to be compliant. So while, your video/audio cables can pass behind the walls without issue, that is why these kits don't allow the pass through of the power cable.'

- Merg