Wall Plate Keystone Connector

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by MizzouTiger, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1 of 11
    MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Just got upgraded to HR44 with SWM/DECA today. Previously had 3 DVR's with unsupported whole home DVR sharing. I have the mult-port wall outlet plates where you can snap in difference types of keystone connectors (phone, network, coax, etc.). Installer told me today that he could not use the keystone coax connectors that were there because they are not rated for 3 ghz. Makes sense to me. He told me they run into this all the time, and that I should be able to find replacement ones at Home Depot or Lowes that are rated for 3 ghz. Went to Home Depot, and found some there that have a blue colored insert, but the package says they are only rated to 2.4 ghz. The ones that I found at Lowes don't list a frequency rating.

My question is will the 2.4 ghz ones at HD work? If not, any ideas where I can find 3 ghz keystone inserts? I only need 4 of them.

Thanks

2. Sep 5, 2014 #2 of 11
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, they will work but you should also look at Monoprice web site they will have the correct ones

3. Sep 5, 2014 #3 of 11
    Juanus

Juanus Legend

Jun 4, 2007
    I would love to know which ones you have currently as this is the first time that I have ever heard of this type of restriction.
    I did all of the cabling in my current home and I have forgotten where I got my keystone connectors (It could have been monoproce because I got a lot of stuff from there) but I didn't look at what they were rated at.

4. Sep 5, 2014 #4 of 11
    MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    I did look at Monoprice but they don't list the frequency of their connectors. At least I didn't see it.

5. Sep 5, 2014 #5 of 11
    MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    The installer said something to the effect of the 3 ghz frequency would "melt" the standard inserts that I currently have. Not so sure that is true, but I also don't want to degrade the signal being transmitted through those connections to my 3 receivers either.

6. Sep 5, 2014 #6 of 11
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    HA! HA! Funny- If your current pass thrus are white -that means they are standard - Swept means that they will pass the signal 2.4 vrs 3 is almost a wash you won't notice any difference in signal - only if it doesn't work (meaning) no picture.

Relax it's only tv :)

7. Sep 5, 2014 #7 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Not all barrels are the same. Some make the connection with not much contact and that could cause a hot situation if a PI were involved. The Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers even proposed an ANSI standard for measuring the resistance.

Amazon lists many options for 3GHz barrels. Most have a blue dielectric but one has a black center.

I'm surprised the Monoprice doesn't seem to deal in them anymore.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sep 5, 2014 #8 of 11
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's not true. Urban legend. Totally BS.

9. Sep 5, 2014 #9 of 11
    Juanus

Juanus Legend

Jun 4, 2007
    I think its all BS also. I am sure what you have is just fine and will carry the signal with no problem. This is truely the first time I have heard of this.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I will wager the installer, just like harsh, had just come out of training school….

Clear barrels (if functional) should have no adverse effect on the signal. Dont believe these Urban Legends

2 people like this.
  11. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Appreciate the responses