Wally W/ HD recording 2 satellite channels simultaneously

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by Lou Lawrence, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Lou Lawrence

Lou Lawrence New Member

Jul 14, 2018
    There are a number of subscribers reporting that the Wally single tuner receiver connected to a HD and DVR account are able to record 2 SATELLITE channels simultaneously. I know it can do an OTA channel and a satellite channel but these folks are saying that it is now "magically" able to record 2 different channels at the same time when using a standard DISH antenna.
    Anyone know if this is really happening and how that might be possible?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    it could be happening, because the Wally DOES have 2 Sat tuners - it'd just that the software was only configured for one.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe using both tuners on a Wally is a feature, not a bug. External HDD required.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My neighbor has Dish. I set up a replacement receiver for her a couple of years ago.
    There was a spot that you needed to choose if it was1 or 2, don't remember the actual wording. When I checked in the Help about the choice it said choosing 1 would then feed the second one out to a second TV over coax. The second feed is SD in that set up.

The other choice was 2. That said it could be used for picture in a picture.
    I think hers is a VIP 722 . Don't know if that is a Wally or not.

She can not record on her unit.

5. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Probably a 222 variant. The Wally is a newer receiver. The 722 is a DVR and should be able to record.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yeah, it was about 4 years ago that I helped her with it.

7. Lou Lawrence

Lou Lawrence New Member

Jul 14, 2018
    I have not been able to find any documentation that a Wally receiver has 2 tuners so if it's a feature, shouldn't it be detailed somewhere. DISH support denies it has 2 tuners and claims that the Wally does not have 2 tuners and cannot record 2 channels. I was coming here in hopes of clarification and not sarcasm.

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Clarification was provided. DISH pushed a firmware change and the Wally is now a two tuner satellite receiver as a number of subscribers have reported.

9. Lou Lawrence

Lou Lawrence New Member

Jul 14, 2018
    So, do you know if the Wally will work as a 2 tuner DVR with all antenna setups such as the Tailgater dome style antennas or if it requires the DPP style antenna?

10. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Well obviously since it has a single antenna connection (the seperater is built-in) you will need to use a DPP or hybrid antenna.

11. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    The Wally works with the automatic domes like the Tailgater, Pathway, etc. Recording two channels at once requires that both channels are on the same satellite.

The underlined sentence above is incorrect. It should have read "Recording two satellite channels at once (with a dome) requires two EHD equipped Wallys recording two channels on the same satellite."
    Refer to post #44...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  12. Lou Lawrence

Lou Lawrence New Member

Jul 14, 2018
    The 2 above answers contradict each other so that's why I am looking for clarification. Assuming both channels are on the same satellite (say 129) and we are wanting to watch 2 programming on 129, would the dome style antennas be able to record both simultaneously.

13. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Apples and oranges.

The dome itself has only one lnb and therefore can see only one satellite at a time.

I believe the hybrid reference is for a connection to a standard 2 or 3 lnb dish, not a dome (I could be wrong since i am an observer not a participant).

14. Lou Lawrence

Lou Lawrence New Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Seeing only 1 satellite only requires 1 LNB. If the dome antenna is sending the signal to the receiver and both channels are on the same satellite, only 1 LNB is required. Is the DPP LNB hardware required to make both tuners work or should both tuners work with any LNB as long as the channels are coming from the same satellite?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  15. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Post #11

16. Lou Lawrence

Lou Lawrence New Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Thanks to all for the responses. Does anyone have any actual experience with a dome and recording 2 channels? The folks reporting that it works with a Trav'ler style antenna also report that they have not been able to get it to work with a dome.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It could have FSB tuner/demod as newest European receivers, so only FW is limit how many channels could be processed/recorded
    does someone have BOM of the Wally to check ?

18. Lou Lawrence

Lou Lawrence New Member

Jul 14, 2018
    There must be a message in there somewhere but I sure don't know how to decode it.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Wally is capable of tuning two different satellite locations when connected to a DPP or DPH switch. The limitation in this case comes from the antenna. DPP and DPH can provide more than one orbital location at a time ... the automatic domes listed provide ONE orbital location. So while the Wally can tune two channels on a dome, they must be at the same orbital location.

20. Lou Lawrence

Lou Lawrence New Member

Jul 14, 2018
    My question remains, if the dome antenna is pointed at 1 satellite and both channels being recorded are coming from that satellite is the Wally capable or recording both or is the DPP DPH LNB required to make this happen? I have not heard of anyone who owns a dome being able to do this.