1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walmart acquires VUDU

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by Cholly, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  2. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Rather surprised it's not google, personally.

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Wonder if the prices will come down.

VUDU is a cool concept, just WAY overpriced for the initial hardware and then all the content.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Very surprised at this acquisition.

Then again, their huge growth and interest in electronics the past 2 years, in particular, also showed they plan to play in this space for some time.

5. yukozona

yukozona New Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Good news for Walmart folks. VUDU is a revolutionary service that delivers instant access to thousands of movies and TV shows directly through the television. I think Walmart would be greatly benefited by this move.

6. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    This move, combined with the release of the new line of LG Blu-Ray players finally got me off the fence. I bought a LG BD550 this week. It has VUDU, Netflix, CinemaNow, Pandora, Picassa, YouTube, and Accuweather built-in. And it plays Blu-Ray discs, for only $20 more than a stand-alone VUDU box.

My main concern was that if the company went under, the stand-alone box would become a doorstop, and I would also lose access to purchased movies stored in their "vault". Now, that is extremely unlikely. If Walmart goes under, we're going to have other things to worry about than whether we can watch streaming HD movies, like how to repel roving bands of marauding cannibals.

7. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    How is the LG BD550 working for you?
    Any firmware/software updates involved upon installation?
    The reason I ask is because I bought the BD550 player yesterday,but I have not had a chance to hook it up yet.

8. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    There was a firmware update for which there were a couple of tries before it finally "took". I don't have any Blu-Ray discs yet, but I put in a couple of DVDs to test it and they worked fine. I have checked out Pandora and YouTube, and signed up for a VUDU account (for which you get a $5.99 credit) but have yet to watch a movie. I'm slightly disappointed that it only has a coaxial SPDIF digital audio output (No TosLink optical) and it only came with composite cables - no component, no HDMI. But I guess I can't really complain for $180.

9. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    Thanks much for the reply. :)
    I will attempt to get mine set up and running over the next few days.