Want a better picture on TV 2 ?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by racermurray, Mar 26, 2009.

1. racermurray

racermurray AllStar

Mar 20, 2007
    After purchasing a 26" LCD for the bedroom I was not happy with the slightly fuzzy picture using the TV2 RF output. I did a test using the composite outputs and found a tremendous gain in picture quality. I looked around for a 75' composite cable unsuccesfully. I found a 75' component cable RBG from monoprice and snaked it through my basement from the 622 box to the bedroom tv. Using the green for video and the red and blue for audio , picture quality is about the best I think you can get.

RM

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Did you try a new run of RG6 from the receiver to the TV or were you using an old existing cable?

3. racermurray

racermurray AllStar

Mar 20, 2007
    I used new RG6...I think bypassing the TV tuner was the key

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Sometimes just changing the output channel for TV2 can improve things. "Fuzzy" can mean any number of things.

5. JeffN9

JeffN9 Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    If you can "snake" another two RCA cables through for the audio and use the three you already ran for the actual component video you can have HD in the bedroom. That would be the absolute best you can get. I have this setup and love it.

6. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    However, with that set up you get the same programming on both TVs. If that's okay with your environment, run the receiver in Single mode and you will get PiP and Swap at both locations.

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Remember that component isn't available on the TV2 side of things. Unless you live alone, sharing probably isn't a long-term option.

8. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    This is my issue and probably the issue with a lot of people. I have TV1, which is essentially for my wife and I, and TV2, which is basically shared by the kids to watch a large yellow sponge most of the time. Actually I have TV2-1, TV2-2, and TV2-3. One in the living room, one in an upstairs room, and one in the basement. Each has its own remote control. One came with the 622 and the other two were Ebay purchaes. And yes, we have had remote control "battles". I will go upstairs to watch something not knowing the kids are watching something. I will select something and a few moments later it re-tunes to a big yellow sponge. Not a big deal because I am not willing right now to spend any more money on this sort of thing. I also have extra digital to analog converter boxes on a few sets, so with only 4 people in the house we have had times where one person is watching TV1, another one TV2, me watching OTA via converter box. Basically the fourth person will have to decide which of those three choices they want to share with another family member.

I sort of have a similar issue with internet access. We have two main computers for primary access, but also have means via Wii internet access and a very old PC updated from Win'95 to Win'98 in the basement. I can also bring in my work laptop and access via wireless aircard if need be.

9. fredinva

fredinva Legend

May 10, 2006
    No..........
    tv2 via rg6 on a modulated channel is SD
    Composite is still SD

Component is HD

fred
    (tv2 on modulated ch Air 22 gives the best pic)
    or an air ch near the low end

10. racermurray

racermurray AllStar

Mar 20, 2007
    Never said I was watching TV2 in HD.
    Please re-read my original post , I am simply using a component cable to connect my composite input/output jacks.
    On my TV2 LCD the picture is clearer using the yellow input/output vs using the modulated output (regardless of which channel is used)

RM

11. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Short of adding more tuners, one more thing that you could do is to use a standard splitter to combine TV1 & TV2 outputs through your home wiring. Then, you can tune your TV to one channel for TV1 and change to TV2 for the second channel. That will give you one more choice to deal with your lack of tuners. You can also buy keys to allow an RF remote to control TV1.

12. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    You can watch both TV1 and TV2 output on the same coax (TV2 Home Distribution output) without using any combiners (spliter/diplexor). They are output on different channels by the receiver. Select the channels you want them on in Setup.

13. fredinva

fredinva Legend

May 10, 2006
    I read the post okay, simply responding to you and 'subsequent' posters. I understand A/V(composite) will always be better pic quality than modulated rf.
    But as I mentioned, a lower modulated ch on rg6 will give a slightly better pic than the default ch60. And you can get hd to tv2 by inserting an ota antenna into the same rg6line.
    Not many people are going to go the extra effort and fish ($50+)component cables 75 feet, especially not installers.
    Composite cables, even two barreled together, would have prolly accomplished the same thing. Or you could have simply put 'RCA' F-connector adapters on your rg6 for the video and then run a cheap 75 audio cable.
    There are many options to cure picture quality issues.

fred

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That would be an incorrect understanding. It is often the case, but not always.

15. fredinva

fredinva Legend

May 10, 2006

We're in a Dish forum.
    when is their rf modulated signal better than a/v cabling??

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    When the cable length gets awfully long, bad things can happen to line level transmissions. RF typically doesn't suffer these problems. RF is also less susceptible to certain grounding problems that an unbalanced connection may be clobbered by (or at least badly "hummed").

17. guillermopelotas

guillermopelotas Mentor

Oct 9, 2006
    My TV2s are in living room, upstairs room and kids play room. It exists so my kids can watch the Sponge. My remotes are from eBay. I think you're me!

18. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Where did you hear that? What is the technical reason for it, if any?

19. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Higher frequencies (channels) have more loss through coax and are more sensitive to connection corrosion, lose connections, etc.

20. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    True of ViP series receivers, but not of the SD receivers like the 322 and 522/625, which have separate RF outputs for TV1 and TV2.