1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want a Qwiki?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Forget Wikipedia, have a Qwiki* instead. Be the first on your block to try it!

www.qwiki.com

I entered my city, state and I was absolutely amazed!

*as seen on CNN.

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Interesting, to say the leas. I also did my home town and learned several new facts. I'll have to play around with it more. Thanks, Nick!

3. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    You guys must live somewhere interesting. Not me, it tells me about a local private high school and when our mall opened in 1981. I tried anyway.

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Interesting, I put in a name of someone and was rather impressed.

5. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Scott, not all home towns are as exciting as mine :sure: but this new Qwiki site is for much more than that. Think of it as a blending of the best of Google, Wikipedia and Picasa, with a sultry human voice as your guide.

Try it again and put in any word or phrase you might enter in to a search engine or Wikipedia.

For starters, try HDMI, 'Isaac Newton', 'Los Alamos', Alcatraz, or 'high definition'.

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    The info on my home town is surprisingly sparse. It's not actually named directly for Sparta, Greece...

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It needs to work on pronunciation. It pronounced "Cincinnatians" more like "Cincinations"

But certainly interesting.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It seems to get it's content from Wikipedia ... seems like a fad - although running it on a cell phone would give a basic "quick definition". It didn't handle a lookup I typed in until I typed it in the way it was in the database. To really work well EVERY search needs to have an answer ... or at least a "did you mean" page.

Another good website to try is Do Nothing for 2 Minutes. Kind of cute.

9. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Apparently, my home town is more popular with the lovely Ms. Swiki Qwiki. After all, we have a beach and an ocean, and it's comfortably warm most of the time that I wear shorts year 'round. :lol:

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I just tried Jimmy Johnson and Qwiki says he's a four time champ. Hamlin would have liked that.