1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

War of the Remotes

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by rlu929s, Jul 31, 2009.

1. rlu929s

rlu929s AllStar

Aug 9, 2006
    On my 722 we have TV2 running to our bedroom. I've got once of the long range remotes for upstairs.

Well apparently a neighbor has the same thing going as we'll be watching TV and then all the sudden the channels will start changing.

Last night I was into a movie and this happened. My wife yelled at my after I set there hitting cancel for about 5 minutes to exact my revenge.

Long story short is there a good way to change some sort of frequency or something so this doesn't' happen?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Read your instruction book you have at least 15 alternate addresses for your remote. You could have spent 5 minutes curing your problem instead acting like a child.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The process for changing a remote ID:

- Go to the System Information screen (either Menu, 6, 1, 3 or pressing the Sys Info button on the receiver).

- Press and hold the clear SAT button until all 4 clear buttons light up.

- Type in a number between 1 and 16. No leading zeros. Pick a number that isn't already in use.

- Press the # button. The clear lights should blink.

- Press the REC button (sometimes a couple of times) and you'll see the receiver sync with the new Remote ID.

Done!

5. Aug 1, 2009 #5 of 14
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I recommend only entering SYSINFO using the front panel of the box, as you can sometimes change the conflicting receivers remote address at the same time.

6. Aug 4, 2009 #6 of 14
    rlu929s

rlu929s AllStar

Aug 9, 2006
    Thanks a bunch for the advice guys. I'm glad some people are willing to help rather than being a silly when someone makes a joke.

Yes, BOBA that was directed at you in case you're confused.

7. Aug 5, 2009 #7 of 14
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    No I'm not confused I read my instruction book years ago. I know how to use my systems.

8. Aug 5, 2009 #8 of 14
    hsweiss

hsweiss Mentor

Jul 29, 2009
    Speaking of UHF remote problems.... I just got a VIP 222K HD upgrade. The rcvr is in the family room and TV #2 is in the basement. With our old 322 rcvr, the UHF remote worked great. With the 222K - not so good. Like almost not at all. It doesn't even work well if I'm in the same room with the recvr (and someone is downstairs yelling if the channel changed - or not as the case usually is). I changed the remote batteries, no change. I changed the remote's channel, no change. Bad recvr?

thanks

9. Aug 5, 2009 #9 of 14
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Hsweiss, try a 'pigtail'. Take off the antenna, stick a 2-foot coax on the jack, put a barrel connector on the coax and attach the antenna. That may work.

10. hsweiss

hsweiss Mentor

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks - I thought of that but since the remote barely works while I'm in the same room as the rcvr it didn't seem like moving the antenna off would make a difference. And like I said, the old 322 was in the exact same place as the current 222K and it worked like a champ with no extender.

If it worked well in the same room with the rcvr I would have figured that it was a range issue and I would have moved the antenna downstairs to the basement. Dish tech has a nice diagram illustrating using two splitters and an attenuator to "remote" the UHF antenna over the TV #2 coax (see "Extend UHF remote range" on the left at http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/remotes/20.0.shtml).

11. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    That's the next step to take. Sometimes, there's EMI that bollixes the TV2 RF reception. Adding the pigtail sometimes works.

12. hsweiss

hsweiss Mentor

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks - I'll give it a try tonight.

13. hsweiss

hsweiss Mentor

Jul 29, 2009
    The wife got PO'd with the remote not working and called the Dish installer back in before I got home. He comes in and it all works! Just like going to the doctor? Anyway, he believed us that it wouldn't work yesterday so he used a couple of splitters and moved the UHF remote antenna down to the basement. It works fine now. I'll betcha that just remoting off the back of the rcvr would have worked as well. I might try it anyway if I get the urge to go into the crawl space where the coax comes down from the family room to pull off the antenna.

14. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Eh, I'd leave it the way it is. That was the next thing to do anyway.