1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was able to watch a deleted recording...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jason Whiddon, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    So, the wife sat down to watch Grey's Anatomy, and it was one of those blank screen 0 min partials, that would not play. I deleted the program, then went into history and looked it up.

In history, it said recorded, not deleted, but it was not showing in the list anymore. I went to it in history, and it plays fine, so I had her watch it now before something changes. Just thought the whole thing was VERY strange.

2. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I sometimes see 0 min. partials in history along with the duplicate successful "recorded" entry noted just below it. Despite that, my playlist, going months back, has been correct. No partials in playlist, here.

Since there are two entries for such issues. You may have had the wrong one appear in your playlist, deleted it and found the one that said "recorded" in history. It's happened before but good catch. If possible, you should send a report and log it against the f/w's issue thread before you delete the actual recording that played from history.

3. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Interesting, Ill do that.

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I have often wondered why Directv doesn't give us the Option to Undelete a Recording if we should Delete something by mistake. TiVo has it and it shouldn't be that hard to do.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    elway just proved that, looks like.

And I agree, it would be a gladly-accepted feature.

In elway's case, the DB was out of sync. Info in the List did not match info in History which did match what was actually on the HDD. A reboot typically reconciles the DB and puts it back in sync (which is part of why the reboot takes so long--it has to verify each file against an entry). The space the show was recorded on may have been considered free space at that time by the file system, but he played it back (somehow) before anything got recorded over it (and before rebooting). At least that would be my best guess. Still, interesting.

6. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Yeah, my experiment would prove it oughta be easy to restore one!

7. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Sure enough. Instead of delegating "deleted" files as free space, or pooling it back into the great unknown of free space where any and all of that space is available at any time for new recordings, you delegate it to another category that has a FIFO routine. That way when free space gets low it pulls from that FIFO category and writes over the oldest "deleted" file and removes that show from the "deleted but still restorable" category, rather than randomly writing over free space. A no-brainer. :)

8. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    One thing I actually miss about TiVo, vs others.

9. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    +1, but it did take Tivo about a decade to figure out how to do that.

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    With the ability to delete, and then prompt to ask you if you're sure you want to....that seems to be dumbing down the functionality IMHO for those who can't make up their minds. ;):D

Maybe the next DirecTV HD Tivobox will bring it along for the ride...

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Or for those who have accidentally Deleted something or maybe another member of the family Deleted without thinking about others.

12. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Exactly.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    And as any Windows user knows, even though you're prompted with an "are you sure?" every time you delete a file, you're still offered a second chance, via the "recycle bin". It's file system "101", IMHO.

Since it's probably already part of the HR's OS, I wonder why they simply don't just move those deleted episode titles into a "recently deleted folder" for "n" days, or until disk space is needed? :scratchin And just like the Windows recycle bin, if you don't want a show available even in that folder, for parental control purposes e.g., you can simply go in there and delete it for good.

It's been on the Wish List for ages, currently at #6 in popularity:

Undelete, or the ability to allow user acccess to a "recycle bin" to restore a recording.

14. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    It's not just about accidents. Occasionally I will delete something because I'm not interested at the time and then later regret deleting it. It was a nice feature and only used what space was available as "free" so it doesn't hurt anything. Sometimes you want to watch something again that has been deleted.

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Sounds like a testimony.... :D:lol:
    I can understand it...but its probably #99 out of #100 "wish list" items.

16. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Some people have mentioned that the boxes slow down when the hard disk is full. Would implementing a recycle bin cause the DVR's hard drive to run at nearly full all the time?

17. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
  18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You didn't see Steve's Post that it is #6 on the Wish List!!!

Here is what Steve posted. "It's been on the Wish List for ages, currently at #6 in popularity"

You really should read all of the posts before posting, FanBoy!!! :lol:

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    You must read my post better.... :D

I'm talking about DirecTV's list, grasshopper... :lol:

With the same method used as most other software....complete with a warning to make that change of mind...

The price to be paid for keeping the content someplace on the hard disk so that it could be resurrected later because of a change of mind on a delete seems less than prudent, which may be why it hasn't been implemented.

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, Directv should pay Closer Attention to our List as we are reflecting more of what the Customer wants than the Senior Managers at Directv.

We are like the mouthpiece of the Customer Base albeit we are the Elite or most techonogically advanced and may not represent the needs of each and every customer but if you please us then you will Please the Masses!!!

Grasshopper Must Go And Lie Down As All Of This Philosophy Hurts His Little Brain!!! :lol: