1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch recorded program later....

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by gcotterl, Feb 17, 2017.

1. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I set a timer to record a program that is broadcast at 2 PM.

When 2 PM arrives, the DVR records the program AND the program plays on my TV.

What do I need to do so I can watch a different program at 2 PM and watch the recorded program later?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Choose another channel and watch it while the timer one records.
    If it will not let you do that, your setup might be set for 1 tuner instead of 2.
    What is the model number of your receiver ?
    Do you have others, what are their model numbers ?

Edit: for some reason I thought I was on the DirecTV threads.
    The information is still probably relevant.

3. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I have a Vip622 DVR.

At 2 PM, the DVR switches from the channel I'm watching to the channel the program is being recorded on.

How do I "set for 1 tuner instead of 2"?

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Have you tried changing the channel once it begins recording? It's stuff like this that cause me to say record everything you watch. Then there's never an issue.

5. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I get a warning saying that, if I change the channel, it will stop the recording.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I found this and it might help.

RECEIVER FEATURES
    • View and record DISH Network high definition (HD) and standard definition (SD) programming.
      • View HD or up-converted SD content on TV1, SD or down-converted HD on TV2.
    • Two satellite tuners provide user-selected viewing options, including:
      • Single Mode: Picture-In-Picture (PIP) on any TV; record/watch two programs.
      • Dual Mode: Separate live program viewing on two televisions. Independently view playback of any recorded SD or HD program at TV1 or TV2

• I believe The choice in whether it is in single mode or dual mode is causing your problem.
    Link: DISH Network Vip 622 High-Definition MPEG4 Dual Output HDTV Satellite Receiver / Recorder / Tuner (Vip-622) from Solid Signal

7. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    So "single mode" is one tuner and "dual mode" is the other tuner(?)

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Single mode = PIP on a single TV
    or
    record / watch 2 programs on one TV.

This is the way I interpret the statement.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Single/solo mode allows PiP at primary TV location, and secondary TV can watch whatever primary TV is watching... Dual mode allows each TV location (primary and secondary) to watch a unique channel on a different tuner.

In either case, you only have two SAT tuners... so if you are recording two things at the same time, you have no choice but to watch the channel being recorded OR watch something else from the DVR. But in solo/single mode you would be able to switch to the other unused tuner by changing channels (easiest to select through the guide) if you are only recording one thing.

10. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Am I understanding you correctly: With the mode set to "Single", I can watch a program being broadcast while the DVR is recording another program.

11. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    Yes, that's correct...and if you have OTA channels you can watch a program and have 2 others recording as long as one of them is an OTA channel.

You can also record two programs at the same time while watching a DVR program previously recorded...(or record 3 programs if you have OTA channels).

In single mode you can watch two channels at the same time in split-screen mode (one of the PIP options) and swap back and forth with the left-screen choice having audio and right-screen choice just video.

12. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    TV1 and TV2 have different "Favorites Lists"

I ran into a problem after switching to Single Mode:

TV1 and TV2 are now showing TV1's "Favorites Lists". (TV2's "Favorites Lists" are no longer available on either TV).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  13. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    That's the way single mode operates...you'll have to switch back to dual mode for that to work...you can look at "Shared view" option (menu, 6, 2) and make sure that's the way you want it...

14. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    I forgot to mention that in single mode you can setup 4 different favorites list and switch to any of them from either remote.

Use Menu/8/2 and select a menu name and then add the channels you had in TV2 favorites...I use 4 different favorites, like "Mine", "Hers", "Sports" and "Movies"...after you get them setup you can press the Guide button twice and select any of the Favorite guides you setup.