1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching a recorded program in the future

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by gcotterl, May 31, 2018.

1. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Does DirectTV let me create a timer to record a program and watch it in the future?

(Dish interrupts the current program when the program being recorded is broadcast).

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not sure what you mean, D* does allow for setting a manual recording. Once it's recorded you can watch it when you want to.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Suppose the program being recorded is broadcast at 3 PM. At 3 PM, if I'm watching a different program, that program is interrupted by the program being recorded. I don't want the recorded program to be played until I want to watch it (sometime in the future).

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Recordings are stored on your DVR's hard Drive. You'll be able to watch another program while something is being recorded without being interrupted by the recording.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH only does that when there are no other available tuners ... and you are warned before the recording starts. If the receiver is off the program records without turning on the receiver.
    DIRECTV should work the same way ... background recordings when tuners are available and "fair warning" if the receiver needs to take a tuner in use to complete a recording.

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    and DIRECTV does the same. If you're watching from an HR2X DVR and two shows are scheduled to be recording at 3pm, your live show is going to change -- although you'll have the option to cancel one of the two future recordings.

I'm assuming the Genies do the same, but I've never witnessed all tuners in use at once.

jimmie57 likes this.
  7. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I guess I don't know what" two tuners" means. I have a Dish VIP-622 DVR and two TVs (TV-1 in the room with the DVR; and TV-2 (in another room)

8. mcutler

mcutler Cool Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Get a Hopper 3 with 16 tuners, and you will never have such a problem again.

9. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    "Two tuners" means the receiver is capable of receiving two different tv channels at the same time, one per tuner. Each of these can be recorded for later viewing and/or simultaneously watched live. You can watch a program live at the same time it is being recorded, using that same single tuner. Once a program is recorded to your DVR you can watch it later without tying up a tuner, so you could be watching one pre-recorded program while your two tuners are busy working away in the background recording two different new programs for you to watch later.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Think of your car radio having one tuner. You can only listen to one channel at a time.
    Now add a tape recorder to the radio output - you can record the output of that one tuner (but cannot listen to a different channel on the same radio).

Your 622 has two tuners ... it can tune two channels at the same time (not three, not four, just two). With both outputs enabled on the 622 one tuner is used for each room. When you set something to record the 622 must choose which tuner to take over (there is not a third tuner that can be used for recordings while watching two programs).

You can set the 622 to interrupt viewing on TV 2 instead of TV 1 - at the risk of having whomever is watching TV 2 say NO to your recording (and not getting the recording you wanted). I ended up setting my 622 up in single TV mode and putting a 211 in the other room. Then I replaced the 622 with two Hoppers and never looked back.