Watching DISH Channels on Roku

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Don M, May 27, 2020.

1. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    Is it possible to watch DISH channels I subscribe to on ROKU?

2. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    No, not on Roku, Dish Anywhere is on the Fire Stick. A few channels are live, but most of it is on demand.

3. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks. I was mainly interested in catching episodes that I missed when they aired on DISH and were not being repeated.

Does DISH Anywhere cost extra?

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    No, it is a free app on the Fire Stick. The package you pay for on Dish, many of those channels are on Demand for free. Nice to have as I will miss some movie on lets say TCM, Starz, etc and I will find the movie on Demand and can watch it anytime. A lot of goodies on both Roku/Fire Stick. I like Fire Stick as there also are browsers, so if some streams on the computer, you can get it on the Fire Stick.

5. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Yes you can if the channel has an app on the roku. I do it all the time for many of the channels.

6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    That is true, but the real Dish app Dish Anywhere does not work on the Roku. But if you sub to a channel on Dish, there may be an app that will work on Roku, but not Dish Anywhere. Why it is not on the Roku, who knows?

7. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    How do you let ROKU know that you sub to the channel thru DISH? I was able to watch ep 1 of Barkskins that I missed on DISH, but when I tried to watch the next show I got an error message that said there was a problem with my provider.

8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    What you have to do is to add the channel app, like TCM. Use your computer to sign in to the app, then you will be directed to a screen listing all of the carriers of the channel. Dish is generally listed. You should get a message on how to proceed. . But remember after you get authorized, you may have to reauthorize every so often. When you add the channel to your Roku, you click on it, and you will to directed to a URL where you can authorize it. Since Roku does not have Dish Anywhere, I have a section in the channel list of cable channels, A&E, Discovery, MTV, Nat Geo, and so on. Works out well. I have been hoping that Roku and Dish would get an app going. The Dish Anywhere app is especially nice as all of your authorized channels are in one place. You do not have to authorize them separately. Sign in to your Dish Account and Dish Anywhere works fine.

9. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    On Dish Anywhere on the fire stick ALL of the channels you subscribe to are live. It is just like having a receiver on your account.

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Not on mine. The info says that I have to have a newer receiver like a Hopper, unless things have changed in the past new days...

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You're correct, you need the Hopper w/Sling (aka Hopper 2) or a Hopper 3 to use DishAnywhere. And I do not believe there is a Roku version.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    No app for Roku. Why I have no clue. But there are differences is the apps on Fire Stick & Roku. That is why I have both. Neither has everything.

13. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks for all the info.

14. Abe12

Abe12 New Member

Jun 11, 2020
    If you have Dish? you can download TCM app on Roku and then activate the app to watch shows you might have missed. It is the same for other channels also.

15. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Not only that, but it can only be used on ONE device at a time. So I'm guessing if you have a family with "devices" it could mean trouble:eek: [ At least that's what it said when I checked it out two months ago]

16. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    As far as I Know, the Dish Anywhere app on Firestick (and for that matter on my Android TV box as well) still allows u to stream your dish receiver whether you have a Hopper not. Hell u can do that on any platform, you just need an older version (aka NOT the 20.x.x which requires hopper). Exception being the Roku. Roku has never had the Dish anywhere app, hell even the 'sling' app no longer works on the Roku. Must be something between Charlie an Roku??!? hrmmm. Although I believe slingTV works there. At any rate, yes you can stream channels an back episodes of shows on the Roku, you just have to download the app for that channel. Or figure out what app you need for whatever show you want to stream, as you know, channels are owned by groups of co's, so they may make a certain show available under 1 app of theirs but not another. So you kinda hafta hunt for what app you need, and more often than not, you wont be able to stream "ALL episodes" from all seasons. You'll be limited to just a season, 2 if your lucky.

Here's a good example, "Killing Eve", a BBC America show, but its shown on both BBC America & AMC. You can download both apps, but the show is only available to stream on the BBC America app, an sadly even on that u can only watch 2 episodes from the previous 2 seasons. Not all that useful. Plus you get to watch commercials on these apps. As far as 'authenticating' from these apps, each app is somewhat different but will allow u to 'authenticate', usually displaying a code on the screen an a link that u can use to connect on a pc/laptop to 'login' to your service provider (Dish, cox, Comcast, etc) an authorize it.

I ended up watchin Killing eve using the Diggz Xenon Build 'add-on' to Kodi on my Andriod TV box. I would definitely recommend that if you want binge watch stuff, an no subscrip. required. Another example, I recently binge watched 9-1-1 from Fox. The Dish anywhere app has the entire season 3 available to watch, but only season 3, ended up watchin season 1 an 2 using Kodi.

17. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Killing Eve is fully available on Britbox. You can take advantage of the initial discount to binge or just keep the app until your done with the shows that you want.

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Sirius XM channels are NOT available on DishAnywhere. I'd have to check on the other music channels.
    All the video channels from your Dish subscription are available on DishAnywhere.

19. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    You can get some network programming off the Roku apps. CBS/NBC/ABC/CW material is on there. Since you have Dish, you can get these apps for free. But Dish channels are not on the Roku.

20. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Yeah watching shows via my Andriod TV box using Kodi w/ Xenon build was quick an easy, and free so...

As for watching/listening to Sirius XM channels, that is correct, the Dish Anywhere app will not allow u to listen/watch/tune to these channels. I'm guessing that's by design? So ppl can't stream XM in their car using their phone an the Dish anywhere app. Seems kind of arbitrary to constrict that but maybe its some TOS violation w/ SXM? The Solution for that is get a "Sling Box". Then you can watch any Dish channel you want once hooked up to your receiver