1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watching from list w/o satellite hook-up?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MustangChuck, Aug 28, 2009.

1. MustangChuck

MustangChuck New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I posted this over on SatelliteGuys, so if you cross-read, I am sorry.

We are currently in the middle of a move. We have the DVR box (a D15-500) at our new house and want to watch stuff we currently have recorded. DirecTV isn't going to be out to install the new dishes until next week. Is there a way to boot the box and have it ignore looking for satellite dishes? It says it is looking for satellites and then says it is downloading from the satellite. It isn't hooked to the wall, so I know it isn't finding anything. It just hangs when trying to download.

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Try pushing EXIT then either LIST or MENU when it is searching for sat. Might work, might not.

If that doesn't work, turn it on and wait it out. Some will time out after a long time and let you get to the list.

Neither is a formal or supported mode, but you might get lucky.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Be advised that even if you do get to your PlayList and are watching your recorded content, the box might cut that off after a certain amount of time. It appears the box will realize that you are watching without a satellite signal and cut you off. The time before that happens seems to vary widely though and it can be a few hours to a few days.

- Merg

4. MustangChuck

MustangChuck New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Well, waiting it out isn't working. It has been trying to retrieve the satellite data for over 12 hours.

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought only boxes with "DirecTV software" (HR2x, R22, etc.) timed out but the NDS boxes (R15/R16) would let you keep watching as long as you wanted. I recall some truckers & RV'ers posting about this... :confused:

6. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Turn it off, wait 2 minutes. Then turn it on and when it says "Your DirecTV receiver is starting up" press the ACTIVE and DOWN keys ON THE FRONT PANEL SIMULTANEOUSLY and see what happens. Let us know.

Oops. Replace "turn it off" with "UNPLUG it from the wall"!!

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Correct. But the OP did not mention if they have an R15/R16 or an R22, so I just put the blanket statement out there.

- Merg

Edit: Just saw that it was there in parens... Man, I gotta start reading more closely...

8. MustangChuck

MustangChuck New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    All I know is the box is a D15-500. How can I tell if it is an R15/16 or an R22.

Once I got to the "Retrieving Satellite Info" screen, I hit Exit and was able to get to my list. We were able to watch a few hours of programming without any problems.

Thanks,
    Chuck

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, you have an R15-500... There are no DVR models that start with "D". Press and hold the Info button on the remote for 3 seconds and the Setup/Info screen will display that show what model you have.

- Merg

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    In most cases you can also look behind the access card panel for a little sticker with the RID and model/manufacturer code.