Watching Recorded Shows after Canceling Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by reubenray, Dec 26, 2018.

1. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I am covering all of my bases just in case I cancel Directv next week. I read somewhere before about the ability of watching the recordings even after Directv is cancelled. I did several searches trying to find this info. I believe I would need to disconnect the coaxial cable from the receivers before making the call. Will I be able to unplug the receiver and move it to another TV and then replug it in?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Disconnect the coax before calling to disconnect. You should then have access to recordings for some amount of time, reports vary from a couple of weeks to a couple of years. Eventually the receiver may "time out" from not getting a refresh from the satellite stream, but it seems pretty random as to whether or not that happens and how long it might take.

You can unplug, move and re-power the unit. Just don't connect the coax back up. You may have to experiment a bit to get past the no sat signal error on power up. Or, move it first and leave coax connected for start up at the new location, then pull the coax.

You might be required to return your receiver(s) or face a non-return fee. In that case, you may have to watch your recordings fairly rapidly in order to return the unit in the required time. Depends on the model of DVR you have. Most of the HR2x series they no longer recover. They very well may require return of the access cards, in which case you also need to watch any recordings you want before sending those back.

litzdog911 likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just had to send back an HR24-500 and an HR24-200. I have been told by the ATT folks that all HRs are going to be recovered. Whether those people have any real knowledge of that...I have no idea. I read the new ATT ToS and in that they say that all HRs are recoverable. Which makes me happy, I don't want to see the 24s go away.

Rich

dreadlk likes this.
  4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I wouldn't assume just because they are recovering them all that they will continue refurbishing them. Perhaps they have finally figured out that the confusion over which ones to return and which ones to not return isn't worth it, and just have everyone return anything regardless of its age or condition. Then they can send the ones they don't want to refurbish to be recycled, instead of relying on customers which means many of them end up in landfills.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 24-500 I just got didn't seem to have much done to it. I expected the refurb to run well for at least a few months but it was slow when I got it. I put an SSD on it and it's running like the others now. They did not replace the HDD in that HR. I'm beginning to think all they do is wipe the old HDDs and send them out. If that's true someone is gonna be surprised by how much capacity the HRs I just sent back with 2TB drives in them have.

Good points in your post...but you are assuming they have a plan when all I see is chaos at ATT.

Rich

6. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'd guess they just do a "reset everything", and wipe down the case. If they have anything wrong with them other than maybe a bad hard drive, or even if they smell from being in a smoker's home, I'll bet they send even a nearly new Genie to be recycled. Not going to be worth the time of someone to try to diagnose and repair when they cost so little to make.

Companies as large as AT&T will simultaneously have well planned stuff and stuff that's complete chaos. If they have someone in charge of their environmental/recycling efforts that's on the ball they'd make the change to recover everything and recycle most of it because that's something they can brag about - if they have some stats that say (for example) 50% of receivers we don't want back end up in landfills, and that's 1 million receivers a year weighing 5 lbs each they can say "AT&T's new policies will recycle 2.5 million pounds of electronic waste that would have ended up in landfills"

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, they seem to just wiping the HDDs clean. If they were putting in new HDDs they would not be as slow as the last refurb I got. I've tried wiping the HDDs clean and sometimes it works well but that doesn't last long. Only really positive thing they could do is stick a new HDD in the refurbs. But that would cost more money...not that HDDs are expensive now but I doubt they'd do that. Money grubbers rarely do the right thing.

Rich

8. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There isn't any difference between an empty hard drive and a new hard drive performance wise. I don't know why you see the difference you to, must be that whatever you are doing to wipe them isn't really doing that. Using "format" on a PC definitely would NOT.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Speculation / Question : Does wiping the drive / format fix bad sectors on the drive ?
    I would think if a drive was formatted with bad sectors on it before formatting they would still be there and possibly cause small problems that would probably start getting worse as soon as you started using it.

Rich likes this.
  10. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    When you choose to run a Full format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. ... If you choose the Quick format option, the format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors.

11. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The drive automatically maps out bad sectors and replaces them from a pool of spares. However, bad sectors are quite rare in modern hard drives - there's no way that could account for what Rich is seeing because no one could be so unlucky as to get bad sectors in all their drives! Unless he's the kind of guy who throws a shoe at the DVR when his team loses :D

What I think is happening is that Directv is using a Linux filesystem, and if you put that on a Windows PC do the default "quick" format it isn't going to erase the backup superblocks so the Linux filesystem is somewhat intact. The root directory will be gone so Linux would have to recreate it, but it will still be fragmented. To make sure it is really wiped you'd want to use some sort of "disk wiper" tool on a PC that writes to the whole drive, or in Linux do 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX'. That would eliminate all traces of what was there before, so when you put it in a DVR it will look and act like a brand new / empty drive.

b4pjoe likes this.
  12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    When i axed my HR24-500 in August they didn’t want it back

13. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    I had a very long discussion on this topic with a guy that is in the industry.
    He said that like all magnetic media hard drives are susceptible to magnetic degradation. The drive will read or write to a sector and then verify that the data is correct using checksums, the more times it has to repeat the read or write cycle is the slower the drive gets. If it fails the cycle on a sector for a certain amount of times it is marked as a bad sector. New drives will of course R/W each sector on the first try so they are faster than a drive of the same model that has been working hard and has to do multiple passes on the same sector. Fragmentation is of course another issue but a proper reformat would fix that issue in an HR.

As a drive ages plus the added mechanical wear it will lead to a slowing down of the drive. Also drives stored away in drawers for years may lose their data because the magnetic markers on the platter are refreshed in the drive under normal use.

YMMV but 5 years is often the point when a drive will start to slow down and then eventually die.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think I've ever said I reformatted the HDDs in a computer. The only time I've formatted an HDD for a DVR is the initial format that always occurs when a new drive is added. What I meant by wiped was I took all the content off the HDDs and that usually produced an uptick in performance.

I've never spent any time trying to get an old HDD working well, I wanted my DVRs working. Easiest way to do that is stick a brand new HDD in or on an HR. Best way is to stick an SSD on them.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have no hard evidence about how long it takes an HDD to start producing problems on an HR but I think those problems start much sooner than after 5 years of operation. But that depends on how the HDDs are treated. So, YMMV fits. Was the person you spoke to familiar with DVRs and how HDDs work in them?

Rich

16. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    It has been 5 days since I disconnected my two DVR's and cancelled Directv. I should finish watching the recordings tomorrow. I received a big box today with two smaller boxes inside. Directv wants both the HR44 and the HR24 back along with the cords and remotes. I also got my final bill by email today with a -$8.29 amount due. I wonder if I will get this back or not.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Wasn't the change about refunds not going into effect until January 19?