Watching Recorded Shows After Cancelling Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by smoelheim, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1 of 41
    smoelheim

smoelheim AllStar

Dec 22, 2007
    Hi All...
    I signed up for DirecTV Now last week, and now that I've got my TiVo & HD antenna set up to record OTA shows... I'm ready to cut the cord with DirecTV.

The only downside is all of the TV we have recorded so far.

If I cancel my service, will I still be able to watch the recorded shows that we have right now? Or will it disable the box completely? If it matters.. I'm set up with a Genie Whole Home setup right now.

Any information that I've googled so far is years old, so I'd like more info before I actually cancel.

If I have to downgrade service, and/or suspend my account while we wipe out the shows on the DVR, I'm willing to do it... I just want to know what my options are.

Much appreciated!

2. Dec 7, 2016 #2 of 41
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All you have to do is disconnect the coax cable before you deactivate any HR. Then you should get enough time to view your content.

Rich

3. Dec 7, 2016 #3 of 41
    smoelheim

smoelheim AllStar

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Rich... but what is "enough time"?
    I'm guessing we'll need a month, maybe 2, to completely wipe it out.

4. Dec 7, 2016 #4 of 41
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Binge watch what you have because you won't have a month or two.

5. Dec 7, 2016 #5 of 41
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DIRECTV gives you 21 days to return the receivers before you get hit with a non return fee. Of course this is assuming that you have receivers that DIRECTV wants to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Dec 7, 2016 #6 of 41
    smoelheim

smoelheim AllStar

Dec 22, 2007
    Fair enough.

Does anyone know if I will have access to watch already-recorded shows if I suspend the service, and then cancel?

7. Dec 7, 2016 #7 of 41
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Same thing, disconnect the coax before you call in to suspend. While you can suspend for up to 6 months, how long you have to watch varies. Some units will play forever, some will play until a reboot, and some will shutdown after a few weeks with no authorization

smoelheim likes this.
  8. Dec 8, 2016 #8 of 41
    thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    Did you sign up for Directv or DirecTV Now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Dec 8, 2016 #9 of 41
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I think the first paragraph in the first post contains your answer.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can just make comments based on my experience. I haven't had to watch content on a disconnected HR for a long time. I back up everything we might want to watch several times. Since I do that, I don't have the need to watch content on disconnected HRs. I did some experimenting with disconnected HRs years ago (so this might not be relevant now) and was surprised by how long I could access and view content. At the time, it was at least a month.

Rich

11. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    I have an original Tivo (HR-10 250?) that I can still access. What about an older HR20. I've got one still in service I'm thinking of retiring. It's filled with Tom Petty/Heartbreakers stuff and that would be nice to play on occasion. I would prefer not to lose something while testing.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think it varies. Only way to know is to try it.

Rich

13. kkl

kkl Mentor

Feb 11, 2007
    That's not my experience from two weeks ago. The DirecTV directions say, "Return your non-working receiver and access card within 7 days to avoid non-return fees." Emphasis NOT added. I was also required to return an HR-24 which I thought they'd stopped retrieving years ago.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yet another poster recently started a thread here stating he is sitting on a Genie (HR44 IIRC) and a mini or two from a year ago. They never collected it when he canceled and they never billed him. A mistake on their part, but you never know which way DIRECTV is going. If the TS wants to ensure he has time with his DVRs, then he should suspend his account (but disconnect your DVRs prior to suspending). That way he'll have six months to watch his shows.

Rich likes this.
  15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    21 days is the "secrete" number. This includes shipping back to them.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not sure they will have up to 6 months to watch their shows. The receiver does not care if the account is in suspension or terminated. If the receiver does not get refreshed my the mothership, eventually it will shut down. At least that is how is supposed to work in theory.

17. dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    This thread may be informative:

Suspended service - recordings available?

I suspended service, then cancelled, more than a year-and-a-half ago, and I can still view recordings on my DirecTV DVRs. They have been rebooted numerous times.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As I posted on that thread, software may have a lot to do as far as how long you have before the receiver shuts down completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm not surprised. Must be some kind of "super software"? Naw, that makes no sense.

Rich

20. dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    Yes, I understand that I'm only one data point. Software "may" be a determining factor in how long a DVR will play recordings after service cancellation. The two receivers that I still have hooked up, an HR20-700 and an HR22-100, were/are both running 0x912. What receiver/software combinations will limit the length of time that recordings can be viewed after service cancellation, and what is that limit?