1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way to go "D"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by inazsully, Jun 18, 2017.

1. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Sitting here watching the U.S,Open in 4K on channel 106 and their broadcast just shuts down at 4:30 even though the guide said it would be on until 5pm. Just a screen saying, thanks for watching in 4K. The leader was on the 17th green when 106 turned off. Bummer.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    They've been doing this for years. Lots of hockey games I watch that go into OT get turned off early. You'd think for live sporting events, a person would be required to turn off the feed. Idiots.

3. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    Why don't you just tune to the RSN it's on then so you don't have to go channel surfing every game. I know I always tune to Root Sports Pittsburgh to watch the Penguins instead of trying to find the 700 channel it's on

4. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I agree it is stupid - name me a live sports event these days that actually ends on time? That is without all the interview garbage that goes on after the real end. I record a couple of shows on Sunday evening and have to extend all the recordings because football and other sports on Sunday NEVER end on time. Can't obviously tell you if this was a USG agreement issue or DirecTV but it is dumb. Someone in charge should be working and make decision to stay on. Promote 4K and then do this.

5. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    The difference between this and a hockey game going OT is that the guide showed a broadcast time end 30 minutes after they actually pulled the plug. Not a matter of great importance just pointing out the poor planning regarding a implementation of a technology you are trying to promote, like 4K.

6. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    Last week's truck and cup race both ended before the scheduled cut off time and soccer matches always do unless there is a weather delay or its a knockout competition and the match goes into extra time

AngryManMLS likes this.
  7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    We've seen the photos of DIRECTV's broadcast centers. Isn't someone watching the events to notice when they go dark on an event still on?
    I don't think there are any differences. I pay for a service and I expect to get it.

On channels that are going 'dark' after the broadcast, they shouldn't turn off the feed until the event is over.

8. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Sorry to interupt the b****fest, but the 4K coverage was of 13,14, and 15, the only parts of the course where there were 4K cameras. The coverage ended at a contracturally agreed point in the flow of the tournament, relative to which groups remained to play those holes. Likewise the regular HD version of "featured holes" ended at the same time, as did the coverage of both "featured groups" in HD, as all finished slightly earlier than the alloted time slot. The tournament itself ended about 20 earlier than the slot alloted for it.

What is on the EPG has nothing to do with it.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    It's the leased satellite time-block -- from the event to the D* upload center. Some events will cut off at the end of the time-block, whether the event is completed or not.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    May be the 4K guys need a Bathroom break - it was finished on the 700 channels in old plain hd -LOL

11. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    I am sure that you are correct SamC. I was not paying strict attention to which four holes were being shown in 4K. That being said, why in the world would they not show the 18th hole as they did for The Masters? I very much applaud "D" for showing anything in 4K and that is the single biggest reason I switched from Dish. They have the 4K world at their finger tips but don't seem to be taking very much advantage of it. Channel 104 has become totally stagnant. IE. River Monsters season 7 episodes 1 and 7, over and over and over and over. And over. And over and over

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They can only show 4K content that's made available to them. No one seems to be in a rush to create a 4K channel, so there's not much point in distributing 4K content - they'd rather keep it so they'll have an inventory of 'fresh' content for ESPN4K or DSC4K or whoever goes first.

boukengreen likes this.
  13. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    So when will they add NASA's 4K channel?

14. codespy

codespy So much for the 2017 season!! <Crying> DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I 100% agree with you that the 4K coverage was only on the Featured Holes, therefore coverage ended prior to the complete end of the tournament. However, my Vizio 4K showed no difference in picture between channel 106 and my local Fox affiliate channel 6. If fact, it seems like the channel 6 video quality was better on my 4K TV. Not only that, on Saturday the video was lagging behind as much as 8 seconds at times on channel 106. Powering off my C61K, pausing, rewind and other controls did not help at all. It eventually got fixed by the engineers handling the live broadcast (you could hear the ball get hit at the tee-box, then the video showed contact with the ball nearly 8 seconds later, and the announcers were way quick with the shot analysis before the golfer hit the ball).

Maybe my M60-C3 is a piece of junk, but it works miraculously for other true 4K content, like the Garth Brooks concert and certain other 4K non-live programming. I have noticed no difference in picture quality for the few Nascar races in 4K this year, and other baseball games with my M60-C3 4K HDTV vs. another HDTV in 720p mode (E-60 series Vizio) side by side.

Is there really proof that the featured holes were using 4K cameras? I could not tell a difference in picture between channels....again maybe a problem with my TV (I have it calibrated to C-net specs). Do the Nascar racecars (when showing car rooftop views of the track ahead of them) use 4K roof cameras? I doubt it, as the picture looks the same on the 720p network broadcast.

I'm just saying....although I recorded all of the US Open 4K coverage every day (and also attended the tournament), I ended up watching the network coverage 95% of the time. The announcers on the 4K coverage were sometimes annoying also.......

15. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    If you remember the roll out of HD, or if you are old enough, color, this is the same thing. We are very early in the roll out. In four or five years, we will see full-time 4K channels with actual valid content. A couple of years after that, we will start to see the Major golf tournaments with the network feed in 4K. Today you get the odd ballgame and repeats of the same travelogues over and over.

I do not watch much of DirecTV's "bonus coverage" on golf, whether the 4 HD channels (generally 2 "featured groups" channels, a three hole "featured holes" channel which is the same as the 4K, and sometimes a "shotlink" stats channel) or the 4K version of "featured holes". I would rather watch the golf. I went to a bar on Friday and these two guys had commandeered the TVs to watch the a featured group because they had bet on it. I had no idea what was going on in the actual golf tournament, just watching these three guys, one of whom did not make the cut, play a round.

16. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Thank you! Reading is fundamental.

17. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    well the HD to 4K change over will be harder with limited bandwidth to do side by side with an 2rd round of tv converter box roll out. and network stuff will at the very least force the O&O to give some local clams to big events if they don't have the bandwidth to do 4K on all local systems.

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Even if local stations do ATSC 3.0 it doesn't mean they will necessarily do 4K. They may prefer to use the bandwidth for multiple HD subchannels. It should at least allow them to increase the image quality on the network feed back to what they were before subchannels (though whether they do that or go with like 8 HD subchannels is another matter)

cielohajames2005 likes this.