1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WB68 Cascading question/advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by pappascw, Nov 30, 2011.

1. pappascw

pappascw Cool Member

Jun 13, 2005
    So I finally went beyond my need of 8 feeds on my HD dish so decided to follow the guide to use 2 WB68's. I took in the 4 feeds, split each and ran to 2 diff WB68's, in the correct order (dbl checked that). Hooked up some of my rec's to one wb68 and others to the 2nd wb68. Not really paying attention to the fact that one rec may feed off 2 diff wb68's. Not sure if that matters or not.. All seemed to be well..

Last night I turned on my bedroom receiver and noticed the 771 error on tuner 2. It was trying to record a show on channel 277. Changed the channel and the error went away. Then I tried another channel in that area think it was TLCHD, got the same 771 error. Went out to the living room and checked it on that receiver (which was my first HD box) and it worked. Went back to the bedroom and it was now not working in there.. Hmmmmm. Now if I changed the channel on the living room box to something out of that range the bedroom went back to 771 error. This morning I went down and out all the feeds back into the older WB68 except one, left all the splitters and it seems to be working now.

Bad WB68? Or is this configuration prone to problems like that? Since it is powered by the receivers are they driving the switches to diff voltages and causing problems?

Thanks for any advice.. Probably should have just bit the bullet and got the SWM16..

Attached Files:

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Are the splitters the type with both ports power passing, or are they the type with only one port power passing?
    Do you have the inputs between the WB68s "matched" [13 volt to 13 volts, etc.]

BTW: these aren't cascaded, but in parallel.

3. pappascw

pappascw Cool Member

Jun 13, 2005
  4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So it looks like you've got everything needed and it "should work", which leaves checking coax/connectors for problems.
    If you think a WB68 is bad, swap outputs around between them and narrow down if one is defective.

5. pappascw

pappascw Cool Member

Jun 13, 2005
    So the fact that when I changed the living room rec to the same channel and then the bedroom kicked it.. That still point to a poss bad WB68? Im pretty sure they were on separate ones..

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It does point to the tune voltage not coming from the "bad" receiver, but you haven't narrowed it down to the switch, and "more likely" a poor cable/connector could be the cause.
    Since the switch does supply the signal to the receiver when the other receiver is tuned to the same channel, this would suggest the problem may be between the splitter and the switch. Swapping input coax between switches and then checking if the receiver having the problem also switches, would point to this. If the receiver doesn't swap, then it might be the switch.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I once had to troubleshoot a system in which both receivers had to be calling for "evens" transponders at the same time for either to be able to tune them, because the cable lengths to the LNB were too long and, when just one receiver called for an 18 volt even, the voltage was under 15.5 volts at the LNB, whereas when both called for evens, it rose to just above 16 volts.

I never studied the DirecTV applicaion of DiSEqC technoogy (did I get the letter cases right?), but if DiSEqC can define six different inputs using just pulse trains, then it theoretically wouldn't need to be sourcing 18 volts to "call" for an even transponder, but if the LNB, which is not controlled by DiSEqC, is powered by the switch, it might not have an 18 volt source.

I recommend that papascw first check his "Set-up" to make sure that the receivers are all set for Oval, 3 LNB dishes rather than five LNB, and then measure the loaded voltage coming out of each receiver when an even transponder is being called for, which he can do with the individual transponder test function, while the other receiver is unplugged or turned off.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You a bit off base here. "You're on target" with long coax runs to the dish.
    DiSEqC I think only effects the 95 Sat these days.
    We have two voltages [13 & 18] and only the 22 kHz tone [on/off] to select the SATs. Changing to the older Phase III setup won't change a thing, since they both use the same control.

9. pappascw

pappascw Cool Member

Jun 13, 2005
    The dish runs are probably around 100 feet from the dish to the area where splitters/WB68's are..

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If these are solid copper core coax, it shouldn't be a problem, but if the overall runs to the receiver [to dish] are getting close to 200'+, it might be.
    "If" this was the problem, removing a switch and testing with only one switch powering the dish, would show this as a problem.

"Really" until you've swapped the input coax between switches, you haven't taken any steps to narrow down the source of the problem.

11. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just remember that I once did something "creative" for a condominium resident using stacked Ku and some 2x1 tone switches, because their condo's communication wiring conduit only had room for two coax cables, and when DirecTV downloaded the updated software, the receivers defaulted to a five sat set-up and it didn't work anymore. On further recollection, the problem my kludge encountered might have been that, when the receivers were set up in 5-sat mode, their internal destackers might have gotten disabled.

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Without some feedback over what is there currently, I'm not even sure it's a voltage drop, but instead a bad cable for passing DC.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Either this or if the OP does not want to go with SWiM and wishes to remain with a legacy multiline multiswitch arrangement, then just forget about paralleling WB68s and power pass slitters and get a 6 x 16 WB616 for cheap used from ebay or something.

Like here;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DirecTV-Zin...aultDomain_0&hash=item19cb33132b#ht_500wt_902

This is if all other troubleshooting on the current install fails to fix the problem that is ....

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Guys", let some actual troubleshooting take place before throwing crap [blindly] at the problem.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK, edited my earlier "crap" suggestion :D

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    15-30 mins:

1. Pick one receiver from each WB68, and check the SAT screens. Are all TPs good?
    2. Disconnect the inputs to one WB68 and check the TPs again on the receiver connected to the other WB68, are they still good?
    3. Connect these inputs and disconnect the inputs to the other WB68, and now recheck the SAT/tps on the receiver connected to this WB68. All there?
    If only one receiver has shown problems, change input cables between WB68s and see if the problem "stays or moves to the other switch/receiver".
    If it stays, the WB68 may be bad.
    If it moves, then one of the input coax is bad, and the missing SAT/TPs will show which.

18. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    LMAO!

You got your work cut out for you cuz.

A setup like this just begs for human error. I can just envision multitudes of those gold screw on connectors from the rat shack. ;)

19. pappascw

pappascw Cool Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Haha.. No its all good compression connectors.. I was trying to go cheap.. Got WB68 for 15 bucks and guy owed me a favor and gave me the 4 splitters. Gonna check out the cables, if not just hop on a SWM 16 and be done with it.. Seems to be working ok now with 8 of the 9 leads on the one switch. One tuner somewhere in the house it prolly hosed up but i havent found it yet.. :)

Also something else to note. This has been going on before I went to the 2 switches.. I get a red X on the 103 18V when running the dish test. Ive had it for a while but never had any problem so just shrugged it off. Maybe adding the 2nd switch compounded it?