1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD TV Live Vs. NetGear NeoTV: Streamer Showdown

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Athlon646464, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    WD TV Live Vs. NetGear NeoTV: Streamer Showdown

Good review.......

I have both a WD Live Plus and a Roku. They each have their strengths. For the Roku, it's the number of channels and quality of the streaming. For the WD, it's how well it handles every file format I can throw at it from my library on my NAS.

The NetGear reviewed here looks interesting.

[​IMG]

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Once again the games afoot. First came the video war (VHS vs Beta). Next came the satellite provider war when we had several companies to choose from. Awhile ago we witnessed BluRay vs HD DVD. Now it's the streaming war. The remaining months of 2012 should prove to be interesting over who becomes top dog. For now my money is on Roku.

3. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Agreed - for streaming. Not so much for local files.

For example - my WD will play DVD rips with menus & chapters intact without a hiccup over my internal network. The Roku has very limited capability in that regard. It is, however, freakin' perfect for streaming, both for picture quality and speed.

4. tinh1005

tinh1005 New Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Good! I like it!

5. Ancient1

Ancient1 Mentor

Feb 13, 2010
    I must still be missing something here. My concept of media streaming is to take content from my computer (music, photos, web pages, etc) and transfer them to my TV set. As great as a Roku may be - it can't do that. I don't know yet about a WD LIfe Plus. I can take music and/or photos from my PC and load them onto a USB key, which I can then plug directly into my Yamaha AVR. Why would I need a Roku? My TV has a Netflix app built right in - if I had any interest in watching a lo-fi Netflix movie (and I don't!), why would I need a Roku? The point is, I can't see what these media streaming boxes that can't stream anything directly from my PC are good for. What am I missing?

6. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Roku type boxes are for streaming internet content. If you don't want to do that, then don't get one. The Roku will do as many different sources as any of them available, and do it well. I just watched Lilyhammer on mine and loved it. On my 60" TV the quality was better than DVD (closer to HD than DVD) and the sound was Dolby 5.1, by the way.

The WD Live Plus, which I also have will stream some internet sources, but not very many. It excels at doing local media files from my NAS (Synology). It will serve up any file format I've ever thrown at it.

If you already have either or both capabilities built into another device you own, like a connected TV or blue-ray player, and they do the job for you, then you don't need either of these devices that specialize in what they do.