WD's 500GB My DVR Expander drives certified for use with DISH HD DVRs

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Chris Blount, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    WD's 500GB My DVR Expander drives certified for use with DISH HD DVRs. See article at Engadget HERE.

Western Digital today introduced its new My DVR Expander USB Edition external hard drives that are verified compatible with DISH Network Corporation's ViP Series HD DVRs (digital video recorders). The new 500 GB external drive increases the recording capacity of the DISH HD DVRs by storing up to 300 hours of digital standard-definition (SD) or up to 60 hours of high-definition (HD) television programming. Users can instantly increase their recording storage capacity by simply attaching the My DVR Expander USB Edition drive to their DISH Network ViP Series HD DVRs.

The new WD My DVR Expander USB Edition external hard drives include a unique no-fan passive cooling system and an eco-friendly WD AV-GP hard drive with GreenPower technology, making it quiet and ideal for use in living rooms or bedrooms, while consuming up to one-third less power than standard external hard drives. MSRP for the My DVR Expander USB Edition drive with 500 GB is $149.99 USD. Source

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO Godfather

Apr 6, 2007
    I wonder what the certification process entailed? Probably is just marketing hype. I think I'll wait for the next software version. 4.49 seems to be causing some headaches for EHD users.

3. emathis

emathis Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 19, 2003
    Up next....Dish certified HDMI cables for just double the regular price.

4. dhclaypool

dhclaypool Mentor

Oct 29, 2005
    Engadget jumped the gun and used the word 'certified' which implies some kind of formal process whereas the source article they linked to from fareastgizmo used the word 'verified' which can mean nothing more than 'we plugged it in and it seemed to work...'

5. EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO Godfather

Apr 6, 2007
    So then this doesn't resolve the "who do we call for EHD support issue" either? E* doesn't seem to want it and I'm sure WD want's nothing to do with it after it's connected to E* equipment.

6. teetiger

teetiger Cool Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Interesting. I purchased a Western Digital 500GB My Book Essential 2.0 - USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDH1U5000N for about $112 on sale at Staples. I think you can get the same one for around $99 today on Amazon. I agree with others not sure what the certification buys you but it will cost you about $50!

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    On the WD web site they look and spec out like the same drive to me:
    My Book® Essential Edition™
    My DVR Expander™
    My assumption is that could have done something: formatted for Linux, no sleep? They do use the Dish logo in their spin, so maybe Dish will sell them and hire people who know about such things? Who knows? Maybe they won't run on a Windows computer?

One big change: I noticed they changed the LED on the front of both from the circle on mine purchased several months ago.:sure:

8. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Isn't the difference that WD DVR Expander adds to your DVR's hard drive storage, while WD My Book replaces your DVR's hard drive storage?

9. dean P

dean P Cool Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I have a 500gb WD My Book and it adds to the internal HD. It does not replace it.

10. rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    All compatible EHDs add to your current hard drive storage for the 622/722. You may be thinking of the D* EHD that replaces the regular HD.

11. h3dude

h3dude New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    5/14-5/16 enter code: DISHSPECIAL at checkout on www dot shopwd dot com for 30% off the 500 GB DVR expander.
    $104.99 down from $149.99

5/14-5/31 get 20% off my book home edition 500GB and 1 TB and the 320GB passport elite (and the DVR expanded) with code DISH2008.

12. lionsrule

lionsrule Godfather

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks for the headsup and the code, but don't forget SHIPPING.....$8.61 for me making it 113.60.......an OK price.

13. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Didn't realize that. I have WD's DVR expander for my Tivo HD which adds to my storage, but I have a WD My Book for my HR-20 and it just replaces it.

14. pjm877

pjm877 Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 27, 2003
    Austin, tx
    do you still need to get the one-time $39.99 activation to your account to use this drive on the devices?

I have a seagate 750 USB 2.0/eSATA drive on my 622 now??

what does this wd drive buy me over the Seagate 750??

15. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    I'll have to look when I get home, but I think I bought that exact drive from Best Buy a couple months ago. Without the DISH "certification."

16. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm sure Charlie ain't given' anything away, and this one-time charge is to go up $10 according to the Tech Chat Recap. Of course, you've already paid it once as I have.

Nothing I can see except 250GB less storage.

Which leads to the obvious observation. This thing is for archiving programming and movies. Per GB of storage most of the time it's cheaper to buy two WD My Book Essential 750GB drives than three WD My DVR Expander 500 GB drives. Although, right now folks three My Book 500's are cheaper than two My Book 750's at Amazon. Got to watch those sales.:D

17. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    It does solve one problem that others have been complaining about in other threads. If the hard drive doesn't work and you call E*, they might tell you to contact the hard drive manufacturer (and it may be an issue with the hard drive). If you contact the manufacturer, they say they don't support the drive when used with a DVR. If a drive is certified to work on E* equipment, then E* and the manufacturer can work together to provide support.

I don't know if it really needs to cost much more though.

The next step is for E* should be to include some sort of diagnostics in a future update (like they have with the internal HD).

18. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Do you have a Dish DVR? If so, your internal drive capacity remains the same. The EHD is separate.

19. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm a little surprised that WD would do this given that the Tivo lawsuit specifically targets DVR's that allow an external hard drive. Or, this is pure marketing and there is no difference in these drives when compared to the My Book Essential drives; other than price, of course. I'll bet there wasn't a lot of R&D spent on this model.

20. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Someone who has a ViP622 that has had problems using the EHD needs to pony up some cash and get one of these and report back to see if they work. Or, if it doesn't, where the Tech Support comes from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.